chicken fat

sashurlow

Songster
10 Years
Aug 18, 2009
West Rutland, VT
So I just separated out a large package of chicken from the store. I now have a small pile of chicken fat and chicken scraps. How can I prepare this to feed my birds? I was just going to pan fry it and soak up the grease with break chunks. Can I give it to them raw? I figure my birds could use the calories during the winter and I have no ethical issues with feeding my chickens chicken.
scott

dang it!!! one vote for raw, one vote for cooked, and one vote for eat it yourself. I need a deciding vote here folks (and eat it yourself is not on the ballot).
scott

Last edited:
No need to cook it..................... here we go again thinking the chickens eat like we do, cooking it is Ok also but in no way is it ever ever nessesary to do so.

AL

Last edited:
If this was chicken from your backyard or mine- I would have voted raw. Coming from a grocery store- well, you've seen the pictures of those farms. Cooking it will kill anything lurking on it....

I would cook it, mostly so *I* don't have to handle it raw.

I give mine the skin and other bits after I do crock pot 'roast' (boiled?) chicken -- chop it up fine and mix in raisins or sunflower seeds, and it's like suet.

Back
Top Bottom