1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken feather issue

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 19marvinn, Jan 5, 2017.

1. 19marvinn

19marvinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

About half of my hens have this problem with bare bottoms. It looks like it could be a big issue and with winter, cold. Any help identifying and issue or a solution is greatly appreciated.

2. kle2684

kle2684 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2014
    I have this issue too. Hopefully someone can help

3. bobby2170

bobby2170 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2016
    Pittsburgh, PA
    it looks like they may be molting. just make sure they aren't pecking each other. if that starts you may want to buy blue-kote. you could find it at any feed store. they're attracted to red so they could peck if they see it. the blue-kote will cover it.

4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Bare butts can also a sign of mites, look them over good.

5. kle2684

kle2684 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2014
    Would you see the actual mites. Mine started as bare butt and moved down the legs (she's a brahma) and up under the wings. It's been going on for a few months. She has great new pin feathers coming in but the, the next thing I know, she plucks at them. Ideas?

6. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Yes you'll be able to see the mites. They tend to concentrate around the vent, between the legs, and under the wings.

7. bobby2170

bobby2170 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2016
    Pittsburgh, PA
    also if they stop laying eggs it could be a sign of mites. you may want to buy DE and begin sprinkling it on them

8. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

Also consider that it might be vent gleet which is an overabundance of yeast in the digestive system. If you run a search here i am sure you will find a huge amount of information on it...those were good pictures, BTW!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by