Chicken Feathers/molting? or sick? or mites?

Ajraps_homestead

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2023
Hi,

Im going to try and get a pic to add here later. but i have a handful of hens who I though were molting at a very odd time they are about 1 year old now and have been losing feather on their back for a long time like months as well as on their heads.. I originally thought molting and then stress from two overly aggressive roosters ( they are no longer with us RIP). but it has been over a month since the roosters have gone and some are growing back the feathers on their backs but i have a couple hens that still are not re-growing their head feathers and a couple that the wing feathers are coming out... is this molting? i have checked them and I do not see mites or lice but could that still be what it is? is it ok to treat for that ? I changed their diet to an feed from the feed mill that is overall better nutrition for them and i am also feeding fodder. just really could use some advice.

If you live in Australia or New Zealand it could be molt. Look for uniform pin feathers emerging in the bald areas. Absent those, you have feather picking going on.

Back
Top Bottom