Chicken Feed As Substitute?

SilkieBantams

Songster
8 Years
Sep 23, 2011
Houston, TX
I've run out of chick crumbles and my question is this. Can regular chicken feed be as a substitute for growing chicks that are already in the middle of feathering out or do they still need chick crumbles in a daily basis?

I've run out of chick crumbles and my question is this.

Can regular chicken feed be as a substitute for growing chicks that are already in the middle of feathering out or do they still need chick crumbles in a daily basis?
By Regular chicken feed do you mean Layer Feed? NO.....There is way too much Calcium in that feed. It will damage them.

How long before you can get more and how many chickens do you have?

The chicken feed that I have is not Layer Feed as it is regular Chicken Feed. I have 12 chicks that are growing and they already have feathers on their body.

For a few days you can substitute your regular chicken feed without doing any harm. But if those chicks are less than eight weeks old make it only for a few days, not weeks.

So your chickens are over 6 weeks old.

I am still not sure what you mean by Regular chicken feed. The chickens go thru different stages and need different protein and calcium levels for them to grow properly.

Chick starter usually is at 20% or higher protein and low calcium content. usually feed for ages day old to 6 weeks old.

Chick starter/grower is at 18% protein and low calcium. usually feed at day old to laying.

Layer is at 16% protein and has a very High calcium content. usually feed when they start to lay their eggs. If this is fed to younger chickens It will do some damage because of the higher calcium content.

Which one do you think you have? It should say on your bag of feed.

I've run out of chick crumbles and my question is this. Can regular chicken feed be as a substitute for growing chicks that are already in the middle of feathering out or do they still need chick crumbles in a daily basis?

What do you mean by "regular chicken feed"
Poultry feed comes either in the form of;
Starter,
Grower,
Finisher,
Starter/ Grower,
Layer,
Layer/ Breeder,
Multi-Flock

Starter --
A balanced feed meant as the sole ration for chicks from hatching to twelve weeks of age.
At 12 weeks of age the birds can be changed to Grower or Developer. Starter can be Medicated or Non-Medicated when Medicated it is with either Amprolium or Lasalocid. Starter is available in Mash, Crumble or Pellet form.

Stater/ Grower --
A balanced feed meant as the sole ration for chicks from hatching to chickens begin to lay, this feed can be Medicated or Non-Medicated. If medicated it will be with either Amprolium or Lasalocid. Starter/ Grower is available mostly in Crumble or Pellet form.

Grower --
Feed as the sole ration to chicks 12 weeks of age as a finisher. Grower feed is meant to feed until the chickens begin to lay, then bird can be switched to a complete Laying. Most Grower feed is Non-Medicated but some are Medicated with Bacitracin. Grower is mostly available in available in Crumble or Pellet form.

Finisher -- See above for Grower

Layer --
Feed as the sole diet to laying hens maximum production of eggs. Do not feed Layer feed to poultry, which are not in production because of the high calcium levels in the diet. This is particularly true of young growing birds. Layer is available in Mash, Crumble or Pellet form.

Layer/ Breeder --
Feed as the sole diet to laying hens and breeders for maximum production and for improved hatchability. Do not feed Layer feed to poultry, which are not in production because of the high calcium levels in the diet. This is particularly true of young growing birds. Layer/ Breeder is available in Pellet form.

Multi-Flock --
Feed as a sole diet to all ages of fowl and for the most part a pelleted feed.

Chris

Good info from Flocmaster
I have a question of how long should one feed pullets the medicated start and grow? I have been feeding my 6 week old Ameracanas and 3 week old buffs since I received them
Dennis

Scratch is not a complete formula feed. It is a supplemental feed, used mainly as something to toss, to keep birds busy. Typically, is a roughly half the nutrition, in balance, and protein, that chickens need for optimal performance. I don't recommend scratch constituting more than 10-20 percent of the total caloric intake.

To answer your question, young chicks, such as you have, could get by on scratch, with sand/dirt/grit for a few days, allowing you to get to the store and buy some grower feed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom