Chicken Feed Questions

Just a kid

Songster
7 Years
Mar 7, 2016
So here's my dilemma, last April I bought some chicks. I wasn't able to buy two different feeds for my chicks and for my hens so once the chicks moved in with the hens I switched all their food to chick feed. Later in July I discovered some chicks my hen was hiding. Seventeen chicks later we found someone to take the majority of them and I was left with four. Now my problem is that the chicks are not very close to laying and the rest of my hens need food with higher protein. The girls go through 40 pounds of food very quickly and their egg production has gone down a lot. The place where I buy chick food only has one brand and it doesn't have very much protein either. I'm just curious to see if there are any homemade chicken food recipes I can make that have higher protein to help the girls through their molting season. Or if there are any snacks I can give them that are high in protein. Anything helps!
-Just A Kid

our RIR have been on layer pellets and scratch grains, but my husband bought by mistake cracked corn today and mixed it with the pellets instead of scratch, we gave them some of the corn and they aren't interested. do you think we just wasted 2 bags of feed?

our RIR have been on layer pellets and scratch grains, but my husband bought by mistake cracked corn today and mixed it with the pellets instead of scratch, we gave them some of the corn and they aren't interested. do you think we just wasted 2 bags of feed?
Scratch and corn should never be mixed into feed. They should be used sparingly as a treat. Layer feed is for actively laying birds only.
So here's my dilemma, last April I bought some chicks. I wasn't able to buy two different feeds for my chicks and for my hens so once the chicks moved in with the hens I switched all their food to chick feed. Later in July I discovered some chicks my hen was hiding. Seventeen chicks later we found someone to take the majority of them and I was left with four. Now my problem is that the chicks are not very close to laying and the rest of my hens need food with higher protein. The girls go through 40 pounds of food very quickly and their egg production has gone down a lot. The place where I buy chick food only has one brand and it doesn't have very much protein either. I'm just curious to see if there are any homemade chicken food recipes I can make that have higher protein to help the girls through their molting season. Or if there are any snacks I can give them that are high in protein. Anything helps!
-Just A Kid
Growing/developing birds need a feed with at least 18% protein content and a calcium content of no more than 2%. Any feed that fits those parameters will be fine. It is much simpler and safer to buy feed for everybody and offer crushed oyster shell separately for those that need a bit more calcium.

I will try the oyster shells. I tried them in the past but I mixed them in with the food and the girls pecked it out. But I will try it again separated. I'm in Boise Idaho. Thank you for all the help!
-Just a Kid

I will try the oyster shells. I tried them in the past but I mixed them in with the food and the girls pecked it out. But I will try it again separated. I'm in Boise Idaho. Thank you for all the help!
-Just a Kid
The extra calcium needs to be free choice. I pic of your label would be helpful. I'll look for good quality mills near you.

Try giving these three a call and tell them you're looking for a good grower with fertrell nutri-balancer and see if they ship to anyone near you.

Jon Moreshead
605 Weeping Willow Drive, St. Charles, 83303, MO
Heritage Organics, LLC
PO BOX 135, Hamilton, 59840, MT
Zakarison Feed
8992 SR 27, Pullman, 99163, WA

Now my problem is that the chicks are not very close to laying and the rest of my hens need food with higher protein. The girls go through 40 pounds of food very quickly and their egg production has gone down a lot. The place where I buy chick food only has one brand and it doesn't have very much protein either.

How old are your youngest? I keep my whole flock on unmedicated starter (I think it's 18 - 20% protein) until the pullets enter puberty. Then, I switch them all to layer. Starter is higher protein than layer.

Back
Top Bottom