Chicken feed through the roof!

The forecast for next year on grains is bad. With the Government flooding the Mississippi farming plains this year and the Texas drought. Seed prices are going to be through the roof after winter.

Im plowing up a garden for corn next year to help supplement .....these prices are sky high! Im trying to think of something I've bought lately that isnt......

okay still blank...LOL
hide.gif

I'm buying 100lbs for $23 (that's medicated chick starter) from the feed mill. Their scratch is around $13 for 100lbs. Once I get them off the chick starter and on layer pellets, the price goes down about $2.

I have 85-ish chickens and they are going through just about 70lbs a week - even free ranging and supplementing with table scraps and some left over oats I was feeding the horses in spring. I am currently selling off about 30 chickens because of the feed to egg sales isn't even close to even and we will be required to move soon (landlady passed away). I'm starting to wonder if maybe the horses aren't cheaper...

Having chickens, unless you have a lot of them, is not a money maker. I decided to raise chickens because I wanted to have fresh eggs and something to do. As long as I come anywhere close to covering the main costs, I'll keep them. It's been a great source of entertainment and gives me something to look forward to every day!

It's kind of like the heat - - you grumble about it but you keep going.

Yeah I know--$17.00 a 50# bag in WV--for Purina Crumbles Flock Feed...BOSS aboout $27.00--50# bag...so it is about the same all over..How many chickens you have?

I have around 35 chickens at present (haven't actually counted them in a while). I was feeding a good quality gamebird feed, and its now about $20 for a 50 lb bag, so I had to switch back to laying pellets to cut cost. I've already noticed a difference in their feather quality, which I'm very unhappy about. They just don't look as good when they're on the layer pellets, and I think the switch in feed has forced them into a molt because I've also noticed a major decrease in my egg production. So, unfortunately, I've had to start downsizing my flock just to be able to feed them the feed I want. This has been the hardest downsize for me, because I'm really attatched to everyone I have. But as I said, they just look pitifull since the feed switch, so I really think its for the best. BOSS has been insanely expensive here for a while now, so I planted sunflowers so they could still have them as a treat. The squirrels got the better end of that deal though
barnie.gif

All you guys are lucky with sub $20 dollar prices, the cheapest feed the grain store here is $20 bucks. I live on an island were everything's price is inflated (gas at nearly $4.70 a gallon last week) I also only have one choice for a feed store.....

Quote:
How big a deal is it to get to the mainland and buy a few months supplies there? Is there enough savings to make it worth your while?

Are you all prepared for Irene? Hope it's mostly rain and the winds die down before it gets to you.

$11-12 for cheap store brand, 40# bag. Am cutting costs with tractor/pasture, garden waste, and got only a very few chickens in anticipation of further dramatic grain price increases. Feed whole oats for scratch, which offer more protein, and have alfalfa hay extra from horses.

Back
Top Bottom