chicken feed

never enough birds

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 21, 2008
we are having a problem, we have about 85-90 laying hens all about 24 -30 week old. We feed a good feed mixed from the mill, they put ground corn, egg maker, and soy bean meal. I know the weather has changed we keep lights on a timer, plenty of fresh water they are fenced in, we got our hens in May they are Isa Browns, Barred Rock, and Black sex links, Out of all those hens the most amount of eggs per day is about between 2-3 doz. That is the most we have ever got. We also feed scratch and corn. Thanks for any help

should I be getting more eggs than I am? I don't feel like I am getting enough eggs for the number of hens I have. Even in the summer when they should have been laying more I was only getting about 2-3 doz. I know the weather has alot to do with it but I feel like that isn't many for the number of hens. I thought maybe there was somthing I was doing wrong or not doing.

Hmm.. I would guess you SHOULD be getting more eggs, but I don't know enough to guess what could be wrong. Maybe some just aren't ready yet? Are they getting enough calcium? Maybe they're laying eggs without shells or could they possibly be eating them? Are they molting? Sorry if I couldn't be of much help. Hopefully someone else will chime in and help
smile.png

That could be it also. Do you let them freerange or have them out in a run? If not, I'm sure you could give them some special treats like crickets, worms, etc. that you find around outside or maybe from a bait store. I'm sure they'd love those!

Thanks for all your help we do let them, I guess you could say free range they are fenced in. I read somewhere that fish meal is a good source of protein. we are feeding soy bean meal. Maybe we are to impatient, when you sell eggs to the public and they want more than you can give them. We do praise them and give them a lot of pep talks. I guess thats all we can do thanks again for all your help.

Is there a way you can expand a bit on the name of your thread so members reading it will know just what type of advice you're seeking? Perhaps something like: "chickens not laying to capacity; HELP!"

That should alert and attract those who have dealt with this problem before. Sorry I can't help further...good luck!

Back
Top Bottom