Chicken Feeders

chickenman111

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 16, 2012
Here, there, and everywhere
Ok I have a 40 pound galvanized steel chicken feeder. I have it on the lowest setting and the chickens still waste a ton of feed. I need this problem fixed cause in a couple of weeks I'll be out of town and the person thats going to take care of them can only come down every couple of days and if I put more than a days worth of food in the feeder they will waste it all. any idea on how to fix feeder. here's the link to the type of feeder http://www.shop.mobilechickencoops.com/40-Lb-Galvanized-Feeder-LG914273.htm

thanks

Do you use pellets or crumbles? I think the pellets don't get kicked out as much.

That is the same kind of feeder i use.

I always fill it up to the top....... And have no problems with it. Actually, sometimes I have to shake it a bit to get the feed to start flowing.

Wondering what your problem could be....hummmm

Maybe it isn't hung at the correct height!

The feed dish part has to be right at the height of their backs.

I always have a few bantams with my standards, so I have a wood block on the ground close to the feeder that the bantams can jump on and use to reach the feed. So, a bantam on the wood block is at the perfect height, and the full sized hens on the ground are at the right height too.

If in doubt, raise it a tiny bit higher than their back and watch to see if everyone can still reach it.

Good luck! Tell me if it helps at all.

Ok I have a 40 pound galvanized steel chicken feeder. I have it on the lowest setting and the chickens still waste a ton of feed. I need this problem fixed cause in a couple of weeks I'll be out of town and the person thats going to take care of them can only come down every couple of days and if I put more than a days worth of food in the feeder they will waste it all. any idea on how to fix feeder. here's the link to the type of feeder http://www.shop.mobilechickencoops.com/40-Lb-Galvanized-Feeder-LG914273.htm

thanks
I have the same type of feeder I use pellets. Mine can be adjusted to make the amount of feed it dispenses more or less. I have it on the lowest setting it puts less in the tray but there is always feed in the tray. Their consumption has gone way down after adjusting it.

He he he, funny post

OK... Ahem. I guess the first question is WHY is it muddy?

My chicken shed is super muddy right now *sigh sniff* even though it does sit on elevated ground. My problem is that when the snow starts to melt, the ground is still frozen, the building is painted a dark red, so the snow against the walls melts first and the only place the water can go is into the building the floor of which is way below the mountain of snow all around. I am thinking that this summer.... When the snow finally melts and the ground thaws (you know, about a month from now *massive crying*) I am going to dig a trench around the base of the shed and put in a skirt of roof paper and wire, so the rodents don't chew holes through the roofing paper, and I am thinking maybe maybe maybe that might work.

OK, I guess you can ignore the above, it was just to illustrate that there are many reasons that you might have a muddy run problem.

If you just have a dirt run that is mud only when it rains (so no standing water) you can just add lots of sand, make sure you edge your run so the sand doesn't run off.

So what are talking but? Mud? Sanding water? Erosion? And what is causing the problem?

I would think you can modify so only allow the chicken to stick there neck into a hole that big enough for it to eat. Of course, it's going to limit 3-5 holes total.

He he he, funny post

OK... Ahem. I guess the first question is WHY is it muddy?

My chicken shed is super muddy right now *sigh sniff* even though it does sit on elevated ground. My problem is that when the snow starts to melt, the ground is still frozen, the building is painted a dark red, so the snow against the walls melts first and the only place the water can go is into the building the floor of which is way below the mountain of snow all around. I am thinking that this summer.... When the snow finally melts and the ground thaws (you know, about a month from now *massive crying*) I am going to dig a trench around the base of the shed and put in a skirt of roof paper and wire, so the rodents don't chew holes through the roofing paper, and I am thinking maybe maybe maybe that might work.

OK, I guess you can ignore the above, it was just to illustrate that there are many reasons that you might have a muddy run problem.

If you just have a dirt run that is mud only when it rains (so no standing water) you can just add lots of sand, make sure you edge your run so the sand doesn't run off.

So what are talking but? Mud? Sanding water? Erosion? And what is causing the problem?

I have standing water in the run. it's on a hill and when it rains it gathers in puddles at the bottom and my chickens have to almost wade through it.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom