chicken fight !

chickchicks

Songster
8 Years
Jul 28, 2011
warrington uk
thisismy first chicken fight ive had to dealwith .

i was in the bath so i can onlyguess but it sounded like mr wooster and his girl saphire got attacked by the top hen wilma and for the first time ever mr wooster fought back.

mr wooster has injuries to the insides of his waddles and his comb and the eye lid and markesto his beak
his girlsaphire has beak marks on her waddle
poor wilma has no feathers left on her head and was bleeding and cowering behind the shed this is the first time she has ever been hurt as she is the boss and ususally bullys everyone else inclusing her own sister betty !

i have managed to catch all in the fight and clean wounds and put saphire and mr wooster back with betty and ruby in the garden but ive put wilma in the"hospital bed as her wounds look a little worse and since she was scared i thought a night of quiet would do her some good.

my question is how long should i keep her seperated .... untill she heals or untill the feathers start to come back?

i shecked on her today she was a little weary but happy and eating treats.

i am wondering if this has been brooing for a while as the girls and mr wooster get atacked everyday by wilma showing dominence but nothing "bad" just chasing and the odd feather pull .
even her sister betty who is her main helper and loves to join in the fight mode has been changing sides and sleeping with mr wooster instead and i have knoticed more injuried on the waddles than normal.

is this a change in leadership or a push to wilma to stop being so nasty and calm down?

Sorry to hear about your troubles. This is only a suggestion, but what I would do in this situation is separate the offender for a few days. This will knock her down from her top spot. I've done this a few times in the past when one hen in particular becomes too aggressive and starts hurting the rest of the flock. Once they have been apart from the flock for a few days they no longer hold their status. Does that mean that she won't climb her way back to the top quickly? Maybe not, but either way it will at least give the rest of the flock a bit of a break for a few days. Best of luck to you!

thank you.

the one in confinement now is or was the top hen so i will keep her at bay while she heals and i hope this stops the fight and will keep in mind that if i see anything in the future i will capture and speorate

Ohhh!!! I misunderstood completely! Ok I think you are absolutely right, there has been a struggle for the "alpha" spot. Poor girl, hope she recovers for you quickly. Xx

thank you she will recover i think itjustlooksbad as its my first chicken fight !

her feathers are pulled out and her comb was a little bluddy with the open area red i think she has a headache and sore comb but this morning was eating treats and i think she has drunkalittle bit , its herpridemore than anything im guesing

Yep, the rooster is becoming a man. I would put them all back together right away. A few scabs on comb and wattles won't amount to much and it shouldn't cause cannibalism, since it is on the head area. Continued contact will preclude future scuffles of any consequence. Happens all the time when a young rooster starts maturing and won`t take any more guff from an older female..........Pop

thanks pop i will keep that inmind ill look at her tonight to make sure the bleeding has stopped as this morning i jsut gave her food and i cant tell with out looking as i sprayed gentil voilet all over her cuts !
this has made melear that stuff is messy and does not come of hands or the white patio door !

thanks pop i will keep that inmind ill look at her tonight to make sure the bleeding has stopped as this morning i jsut gave her food and i cant tell with out looking as i sprayed gentil voilet all over her cuts !
this has made melear that stuff is messy and does not come of hands or the white patio door !

Ya know, a very encouraging sign is that she is eating. If her injuries were bad, she wouldn't eat. Yes, we have Blucoat here in the US and that stuff has to wear off your hands and I can just imagine what it would do to a patio, LOL...........Pop

thanks ive just text mum to check as stuckin work sheis eating and drinking all looking good!

and yes the blue stuff is everywhere all over my chest and neck as wilma shook her head and i was wearing a strappy pj top :(
ill remember next time to change first !

Back
Top Bottom