Chicken First Aid Kit and Beyond

kaylee gee

Songster
9 Years
Jul 5, 2012
Connecticut
Hello! I have requested chickens for my birthday in August, to get back into the swing of things. My husband tells me that things ALWAYS cost more than I say they will, because "things" always come up. And he's right.
SO. I want to prepare for as many "things" as possible and include that in the cost that I hand to him. I want to create a chicken med kit, but its been many, many years since I have had chickens, and to be honest, if any birds were having issues that antibiotic ointment couldn't help, they were culled. I want to just have a 3-5 birds at this point, so I could actually afford to give them that TLC if they need it. These will be pets/egg layers, not meat birds. Not that we won't eat offspring, but that's another thing lol

Please tell me what you would put in a med kit, and ALSO please tell me why/what it's for!

If you have any tips as well for getting back in the saddle, please feel free to share!

Blue Kote
Blu-Kote Veterinary Antiseptic Protective Wound Dressing by HW Naylor, 5 oz
Cuts/wounds so that the chickens don't peck at the red.

Amprolium. By the time you see symptoms of cocci you're not gonna have the time to wait for it to be delivered.

I would also include vetwrap (cohesive bandage) for the inevitable bandaging of feet or making hobbles for chicks.

Calcium tablets (cheap human supplement brand works fine) for treating a stuck egg.

Petroleum jelly for scaly leg mites.

1.) Triple Antibiotic Ointment for small wounds.
2.) Petroleum Jelly for dry skin/comb and dealing with prolapsed vent.
3.) Epsom Salt for soaking in warm baths for egg binding/swelling.
4.) Eyedroppers/small syringes for feeding/administering medication/food.
5.) NutriDrench in case someone needs a little extra nutrition.
6.) Apple Cider Vinegar for sour crop (and to add to water to help deter internal parasites)
7.) Poultry Spray/Poultry Dust for mites, lice, and fleas.
AND most important:
8.) Have the Backyard Chickens site bookmarked for fast and easy access ;).

These are some of the things I have, along with what’s mentioned above. You can always add more later as you learn about the babies as you grow. Good luck and enjoy raising your little chickie-poos when you get them! :wee

RopaPoultry complete, to boost their immune systems and help fend off bacteria, fungi, pests, and viruses.
VetrX, it won’t cure illnesses but it can help with mild respiratory issues and help increase airflow if they’re congested.
Fish antibiotics https://www.countrysidepet.com/collections/fish
Syringes for when you need to give vitamins/liquid meds/wormer
https://www.jefferspet.com/products...84c49fa2600f00000651/533884c49fa2600f00000660
Activated charcoal for accidental poisoning
Durvet B vitamin complex
Rooster booster poultry cell

My husband tells me that things ALWAYS cost more than I say they will, because "things" always come up. And he's right.
SO. I want to prepare for as many "things" as possible and include that in the cost that I hand to him. I want to create a chicken med kit

to be honest, if any birds were having issues that antibiotic ointment couldn't help, they were culled. I want to just have a 3-5 birds at this point, so I could actually afford to give them that TLC if they need it.
Some items can be what I would call expensive.
You probably already have basics on hand, but if not, then hit up the dollar stores and do some comparison shopping. I usually buy generic plain triple antibiotic ointment for myself and my animals. Never had an issue and it works well.

Homemade saline solutions using salt and water (boil it) can be used to flush out eyes or wounds - you can find many recipes online.

You can make homemade electrolytes with things you likely have in your own kitchen cupboard. Electrolytes should be used sparingly and only for times of stress. Heat stress, injury/shock, but it's a good idea to make fresh water available too.

Having Corid (Amprolium) on hand for treating Coccidiosis is usually a good idea. It may be harder to source, so getting it now would be a wise move.

As for vitamins, etc. it's all personal preference. Poultry Nutri-Drench is good to have on hand. I usually keep Rooster Booster Poultry Cell for emergency direct oral dosing.

Small syringes can be used for a number of things from flushing eyes and wounds, to administering fluids orally. Look around at amazon, ebay, etc. and see what you can get in bulk. usually much cheaper than buying individual syringes at the feed store.

As for antibiotics - that's up to you. Having a broad spectrum one on hand may be a good idea. Amoxicillin can be ordered online, it's geared more for injury or possibly reproductive infections. Really do some research on what you think you might need before you buy those.

I do treat my birds for basic injuries, crop issues and offer supportive care to hens that may be suffering from reproductive disorders.
Having that mindset to cull if antibiotic ointment won't help is actually a good one to have. You need to at least research ways to put a bird out of their misery because if you keep them long enough, at some point it will have to be done.

We have had to do so before, whether due to sickness or injury. The worst was right after we moved three states over to a new location. We didn't have the chicken area set up yet and had to keep our birds in a fence within a fence. That was the best we could do for that night. One night was all it took though. Foxes came in and killed or maimed every bird. Some we could save, but most we couldn't, and we had to cull many that day.

Back
Top Bottom