Chicken first aid kit suggestions

There are lots of items that can prove useful but for me at least the essentials are;
Corid/Coccivex, or any pharmaceutical treatment for Coccidia. When you need this drug you need it fast so keep a bottle and make sure you replace it when the date runs out.
Flubenvet or any dewormer that contains Flubendazole. It's the only wormer I've found that is licensed for use on poultry that kills a wide range of worms.
A small graduated syringe. When you need to get liquids and medicines into a fowl which may not want to eat then this is essential.
StockHolm Hoof Tar or Pine Tar. Not a popular addition on this forum but most farmers keep a tub. Out of all the medical kit stuff I have SHT gets the most use and has probably saved the most lives.
Vaseline. My favorite treatment for scaly leg mite.
Chlorhexidine. For cleaning and disinfecting wounds. Easiest to find in human mouthwashes.

Most of the other things such as scissors, bandages etc can be found in an emergency.

There are lots of items that can prove useful but for me at least the essentials are;
Corid/Coccivex, or any pharmaceutical treatment for Coccidia. When you need this drug you need it fast so keep a bottle and make sure you replace it when the date runs out.
Flubenvet or any dewormer that contains Flubendazole. It's the only wormer I've found that is licensed for use on poultry that kills a wide range of worms.
A small graduated syringe. When you need to get liquids and medicines into a fowl which may not want to eat then this is essential.
StockHolm Hoof Tar or Pine Tar. Not a popular addition on this forum but most farmers keep a tub. Out of all the medical kit stuff I have SHT gets the most use and has probably saved the most lives.
Vaseline. My favorite treatment for scaly leg mite.
Chlorhexidine. For cleaning and disinfecting wounds. Easiest to find in human mouthwashes.

Most of the other things such as scissors, bandages etc can be found in an emergency.

I have a small syringe in my silverware drawer. Have kept one for years, since there was a period of time when I was finding orphaned or injured wild creatures several times per year.
That syringe can go in my chicken first aid box now! I have vaseline in the cabinet under my bathroom sink. The vaseline also will go in the first aid.
I still need chlorhexidine.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Vet wrap or cohesive bandage for leg or foot dressings, 2x2 gauze pads, plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment, normal saline which can be homemade for wound care, BluKote spray for minor wounds, vaseline,and an empty spray bottle are all good for first aid. Chlorhexidene is good for wound cleansing when mixed with water. A $5 bottle is usally available at WalMart as Hibiclens, a brand name. Vetericyn is expensive, but also can be used without anything else on wounds. For deep wounds usually, saline is best.

Corid Liquid is good to have for a coccidiosis outbreak, and Valbazen or SafeGuard liquid goat wormer are good for worming once or twice a year.

Oh yes, a wire dog crate is very good to have to use for separating a new or sick chicken, or to break a broody hen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom