Chicken first aid kit

Sheltona01

Chirping
Jul 7, 2021
Hi everyone. I'm very new to raising chickens and I was hoping to know what you all think are essential items to have in a first aid kit for your flock. We only have 6 girls, but things can happen and I'd like to be prepared if possible.
Thanks so much

Permethrin dust and spray, dog crates, a dewormer (Valbezen is good), dog pads, gloves, Monistat 7, hydrogen peroxide, masks, extra syringes, a bottle of corid, electrolytes, blow dryer, scissors, calcium citrate, and Vaseline.

Here are 2 threads that have a lot of suggestions:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/suggestions-for-a-first-aid-kit-updated-8-01-2020.1150128/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/topic-of-the-week-emergency-first-aid-preparedness.1149741/

Make sure that you look locally and online for anything that might be needed. Don’t buy too many things that might expire before they are needed. If you know where to get things, it might save a lot of money.
Thanks for the info. I'll makes sure I know where to find anything I need. I wouldn't have thought of expiration dates.

Neosporin WITHOUT pain relief, Greek yogurt
Permethrin dust and spray, dog crates, a dewormer (Valbezen is good), dog pads, gloves, Monistat 7, hydrogen peroxide, masks, extra syringes, a bottle of corid, electrolytes, blow dryer, scissors, calcium citrate, and Vaseline.
This list is great 👆🏼

Hi everyone. I'm very new to raising chickens and I was hoping to know what you all think are essential items to have in a first aid kit for your flock. We only have 6 girls, but things can happen and I'd like to be prepared if possible.
Thanks so much

Tylosin and Corrid are I would say essential for you to stock for an emergency since you'd have to order them if the need came up.

I live in South America and can purchase without prescriptions anti parasite and anti cocci medicines.

Main staples: Vitamin B-NF complex powder, Ivermectin 1%, Tylosin, Sulfaquinoxaline, Amprolium, Vitamin K, 10mL and 3mL syringes, measuring cups, coconut oil for antibiotic topical.

Rarely used but keep: Amoxicillin, Aspirin, catheter tube and syringe for tube feeding.

Last edited:
My first aid kit is quite substantial but partly because we also have horses and cats and many things are interchangeable. I’m in the U.K. and we don’t have access to some of the things you can get in the US and elsewhere but there are sometimes ways to source them. Key items which I’ve either used already and keep in stock following threads on here and which are readily available to me:

- permethrin spray (can’t get it for chickens here but can be sourced for ornamental birds)
- ivermectin (can buy the pigeon version)
- wormer (we only have flubendazole powder licensed for poultry so I have that but also some panacur liquid for cats, that’s fenbendazole)
- vetericyn spray
- chlorhexidine
- saline
- vaseline
- coconut oil
- medical scissors
- gauze
- vetwrap
- tweezers
- cotton wool swabs and buds
- aspirin
- Critical Care powder
- probiotics
- electrolytes
- vitamin and mineral supplement for water
- calcium citrate
- miconazole (in form of gel designed for humans with fungal infections)
- amprolium for coccidiosis treatment (pigeon version)
- bisacodyl to help impacted crop (have dulcolax for people)
- clean towels
- Epsom salts
- syringes
- droppers

Others things not easy for me to get here but useful:

- triple antibiotic ointment (one of the most useful things of all!)
- Amoxicillin

I also have a variety of bandaging supplies as an ex-boyfriend worked as a lifeguard and the swimming pool were throwing out all their out of date stock. There is nothing wrong with the items, I guess they are not guaranteed to be sterile anymore, but they’re really useful. I think you can buy out of date supplies like that on eBay sometimes. I’ve not had to bandage any chickens up so far but it’s handy to have for cleaning wounds for example.

Back
Top Bottom