Chicken First Aid Kit

SunflowerFarm

Hatching
8 Years
May 20, 2011
I'm a newbie to raising chickens and I've been reading over some of the illnesses, etc and realizing that I should probably assemble some sort of chicken First Aid kit so that if any of these problems arise, I'll have the stuff that I need on hand. For example, I've never heard of Blukote and it is recommended for a number of different issues. Has anyone ever put together a suggested list of helpful first aid items? If not, I'd love to hear from any of you who have been raising chickens for longer than me and perhaps can suggest items that you have needed or keep on hand...
Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

welcome-byc.gif
from Ga. I know Neosporing(without the pain stuff in it.) I have epsom salts. Vitamins. That is all I know. Will be watching to see what every one else says. Great question.

I am also a newbe who would like to know about some type of first aid kit or key essentials to have on hand. Does anyone have some sound advice?

I am concerned about mereks disease. We bought some pullets from a scetchy breeder and didn't ask if they had been vaccinated. I have read that it is better to be safe than sorry, but does it hurt them at all if they had been and you re-vaccinate?

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to the world of chickens! Yes, you can re-vaccinate it won't hurt them. All you have to do is inject the dose under the skin, and you are all set! In regards to hurting, I'm sure it might hurt them a bit but it's probably the same as when you get a shot - just a pinch and then done.
smile.png
I'm pretty sure you can get a vial of Marek's vaccine online at a veterinary supplier, although I think they have a lot of doses in the vial... I'm not quite sure how many but it's a lot.
smile.png

I keep a generic version of Blu Kote because it's so handy for a minor wound and often lets the chicken stay in with the flock. I also keep and use Sevin as a lice/mite preventive. Currently I have a bottle of Valbazen as I just wormed mine, but I won't buy it ahead because it will expire way before I use it all. Otherwise I just use the Neosporin or whatever that I keep for myself.

If you ever get a case of cocci in your flock, Corid can be a life saver -- but many never see a case; I never have.

This question comes up here periodically; I have seen some very long lists. Hopefully you will never need any of that stuff -- and almost all of it can wait for a trip to the feed store. Remember, you are reading about problems here, way more often than you will read about healthy flocks. You can spend a lot of money on stuff that will likely just sit on a shelf til it expires.

Benadryl. Thankfully I had some on hand. My shamo cock got ahold of a frog/toad or a bee one this afternoon. His throat was swelling and he was having difficulty breathing. The benadryl helped tremendously.
sharon

Quote:
Hi there! I was in your position not too long ago...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=565226

When I assembled enough knowledge, I put together a page showing *my own* first aid kit, with links to threads on symptoms and dosages where I could find them, and photos of the medicine, so others would feel comfortable going into a feed store and knowing what to look for. I asked the mods to consider it for a "sticky" thread, but I guess the mods didn't think it was useful.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=566730

Feel free to click "report" on this post and ask the mods to reconsider, if you find it especially helpful ...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom