chicken fleas

NNANAPAM

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 13, 2012
Is it alright to put borax detergent in my coop and run? What other suggestions do you all have to get rid of chicken fleas?

Chickens don't get fleas, they get lice and mites. I don't believe Borax would do any good. You need Sevin 5% garden dust.

You are the only person that says this.....do some research. Chickens can definitely have chicken fleas!

I would do the sevin or DE too.Borax and boric acid powder might be too irritating.One other option is the syn. or natural pyrethrin spray they sell as a dog flea/tick spray.

Spray or dust the chickens.Use a fogger on the coop or just dust/spray.

Last edited:
You are the only person that says this.....do some research. Chickens can definitely have chicken fleas!
Perhaps so -- I shouldn't have spoken so definitively. Either way, I would not use Borax around chickens. Pyrethrins are indeed another option; often "poultry dust" from the feed store is pyrethrin / permethrins.

I have been using DE, guess not enough. Will a fogger not hurt the chickens? I am going to get some sevin dust. I already have foggers....Let me know. Thanks!!!!!

hey everyone! On here doing some research. I have coops cleaner than some peoples houses and man................my chickens have the fleas now! Plans are to get the seven dust tomorrow! I have used DE for years, but I feel like the fleas are laughing at me! Ants are laughing at me now too...... Wish me luck! My poor husband was out there picking the fleas off our little frizzled hen. I hope the dust is a easier way to kill the fleas cause with the number of chickens I have we are gonna be picking for months!
barnie.gif

Wel.. i'm new to chickens but not new to birds. My dog has fleas and coming from the yard, im assuming its a matter of time before the chickens get it too. I didnt think they could. I will use some DE on the floor of their coop after a good dusting in their bedding.

ANYWAY. At work we use 5% Sevin dust and it kill INSTANTLY. In an infested bird, usually we cover their little eyes with an opthalamic gel lubricant and then get on some gloves and COAT the WHOLE bird. Shake it in a bag holding the bag off at the neck of the chicken or hold chickee down and dust like its going out of style. Part feathers, dust dust dust. Get some on your fingers and carefully work into head, avoiding eyes and nares. Watch as the little suckers fall off like burnt leeches. You will have to dust the coop/run also so avoid reinfection.

We have had fleas on our chickens for several years ( summers only ) and I have not yet found a single flea on the bodies of them ,, just on the combs and waddles , have ben using borax , de , and seven spray on the dirt , and covering the combs and other infested aeras on the birds with vasolene , Seems to
be working but still a constant battle , I think my fleas here are coming from the squrrills as we have a large number of them here . south central Ga

Back
Top Bottom