Chicken folklore, also known as old wive's tales

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dacjohns, Jul 22, 2008.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    People ALWAYS assume you need a rooster to get eggs. I finally cam eup with a response that shuts them down: "Hens, like human women, will ovulate on a regular basis regardless of whether there are any males around to mate them".

That makes them scratch their heads while I wait to see the look on their face when it dawns on them what human eggs are. LOL

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:LOL. I just wish that we humans take a "break" during the summer heat and during winter. Boy, would that be nice.. [​IMG]

-Kim

3. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    oh that is funny!!!!!!![​IMG][​IMG]

4. lil' Okie

lil' Okie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2008
    Northeastern OKlahoma
    If you lay a chick in the palm of your hand on its back and it doesn't fight to right itself its a pullet if it squirms its a roo. I think this one came from a TSC employee.

5. knippk

knippk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Grayson KY
    My grandparents always say if it starts to rain and the chickens run for cover.....it's not going to rain long! But if they stay out in it.....it's going to rain all day????

6. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    Well, it's not for chickens, but it applies to poultry and it's along the same lines!

Turkeys are so dumb, they will look up while it is raining and drowned.

-Kim

7. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    My Nannie always said, "if a rooster stands on the back stoop and crows, you'll have visitors"

..and she told us that hens won't lay when it thunders, too! [​IMG]

8. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    If there is a rooster in the coop, there will be chicks in the eggs when you go to eat them. Regardless the fact that they've been collected daily and refridgerated.

-Kim

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:Even if it means you have to molt and loose all of your hair? Eyebrows? Eyelashes?

10. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:Even if it means you have to molt and loose all of your hair? Eyebrows? Eyelashes?

That depends, give me another week or two and the answer would be a definate "yes!". [​IMG] Do they molt twice a year? Or even once every year?

It would really depend on how much of a "vacation" we would get compared to how much time spent molting. I would go for it, if I got a summer and winter break, as well as all the times I get stressed or go to a new environment if I only molted once every 2-3 years. Besides, it wouldn't be weird if everyond molted, it might be embarressing for a few weeks, but it wouldn't be weird or odd. Why would it be weird, since everyone had to go through it, even the males? [​IMG]

We could all be non-molting! That's it, like the Onagadori.

-Kim

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by