CHICKEN FOOD

John Scott

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Hello everyone! I am new to raising chickens and thus far I love it! Yes its a little messy and I only have 6 chicks, 3 reds and 3 rocks but its alot of fun and the chicks are getting so big already after only about 8 weeks. I got them when they were only about 3-5 days old and now they run up to me and jump on mu hand and try to climb all over me. I talk to them and it appears they even listen (or maybe I'm getting chickenized..lol) but still I love them! Its like watching your kids grow up (yes I think of them as my kids). Ok sorry, I got carried away. I have a question. My chicks are 8 weeks old and I am feeding them Purina starter food and they love it but I am concerned on how much food to give them. Is there a formula on food per chick? And do i give them a suplament or other food now? If so, what kind and amout? Please let me no. Thanks!

Purina Start and Grow Premium Poultry feed is specifically designed for backyard and pet chickens and can be fed free choice. This diet is nutritionally complete with a level of protein and energy that helps support a controlled rate of growth that minimizes the risk of birds getting too heavy. When they begin to lay switch them to a complete layer feed and feed free choice. Feeding free choice and providing plenty of clean fresh water is important because their feed intake will vary depending on their rate of growth, genetics, enviornmental temperature, rate of lay and many other factors.

It is very difficult to restrict feed chickens because they are voracious eaters and may develop bad habits when restricted. The best time to restrict feed intake to help reduce the weight of heavy birds is during the molt.

Back
Top Bottom