Chicken found limp but alive. Need to know next steps!

K Roe

Hatching
Jun 5, 2017
Hello! Found my bantam silkie chicken lying by the door of the coop upon releasing the others to free range. I did not note where she was prior to seeing her just lying there. I thought she was dead as completely limp with closed eyes but my touch made her twitch ever so slightly, open her eyes, and she is breathing slowly. My first thought was that my large Pekin ducks and the other chickens trampled her in their excitement to leave the coop, but I'm not sure. She has no visible blood, no visible ailments such as eye issues or mites, etc. Yesterday she was out with the others and seemed fine. Frolicking with the rest. We have her quarantined. She has taken a bit of water though her head must be held up to do so. She is not taking food. In the past hour or so her limpness has not improved. She opens her eyes but does not lift her head or attempt to get up, flap wings, etc. We saw her bottom was a bit coated in dried poo so we cleaned her. She is like a rag doll. Unsure what it could be and what next steps are???

I may be totally wrong about this, but check that chicken for a tick! My parents had a healthy dog be instantly paralyzed by a tick. Look at her neck and on her back, just to make sure that isn't the case.

inside with her cage, peace and quiet, towel over cage, dark-ish, electrolytes or Nutri-drench in water, try a bit of scrambled egg for her to eat...
Thank you for your reply! I did try the eggs for her but she's not interested in eating at the moment. I did also try to make her a nice spot. I'm hoping she's doing what she needs to do to get better.

I may be totally wrong about this, but check that chicken for a tick! My parents had a healthy dog be instantly paralyzed by a tick. Look at her neck and on her back, just to make sure that isn't the case.
Thank you for your reply! Checked her for ticks as suggested but none found.

How hot is it where you are? How are the pollen levels?

(I had a girls do that on a hot humid day last month.)

Have you tried yogurt? How much did you clean her up - just dab, or soak?

Sadly, our little chicken has passed this afternoon. Thank you for your input and guidance fellow poultry lovers! I'm hoping it was injury and not disease that took her so the rest of my flock will carry on healthy and happy.

Back
Top Bottom