Chicken Gadgets/Things I saw and thought I could use for the chickens

Pullet Pimp

Songster
11 Years
Jul 1, 2008
Ohio
Every now and again I find something in a catalog or on the web that is supposed to be used for something else, but my first thought is how I could use that for the chickens or the coop.

I thought I would start this thread for everyone to post such findings to share with everyone else. Make up your own mind if it is junk or a nice find, but this would be a good place to put them out there. *BYC does not endorse the products posted.
gig.gif

I'll start off with a couple things I found recently.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200320205_200320205

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial

good idea!!.
clap.gif
...i hope people post on this...it will be very helpful to others...thanks, Wendy

Ooohh, I like the dog house. I'm getting ready to build a night time shelter for my 2 ducks and that would be perfect... plus probably a lot cheaper than I can build one for.

Thanks for starting this thread... looking forward to seeing more ideas.

I'm going to use my husband's dog box as a play area for my new chicks to go outside in when they hatch...he just doesn't know it yet.
big_smile.png

DBF's innovation for our coop was to mount the feeder and waterer on heavy duty cupboard rails so that we can access them easily without crawling under the coop:
Coop-niftypull-outrails.jpg

I am thinking that this would be a perfect brooder area if turned mat side down and a great playpen for young ones with the mat side up...

Playpen

Playpen Mat

I will get one of these set-ups for my next babies...it would work for ducks, bunnies, guinea pigs, chicks and so forth.

I also want a bunny food holder to hang on the run fencing to hold their free choice oyster shell.

Last edited:
Quote:
I got a regular baby's playpen at a yard sale this last spring - have yet to use it, but it was only 4 bucks, so I figured the price was right. Last time I brooded chicks in the house it was a mess - cardboard doesn't hold up well to messy water tipping chicks.

I noticed that the weekly sale flyer for a hardware chain (Home Hardware, for any Canadians reading this) listed a thermostatic controller unit meant for plugging into a vent booster fan for the further reaches of your house a/c and heating system. It was $35 (probably cheaper in the states) and claims you can set the on/off temperatures, which you can't do with a regular cheap thermocube.

Might be useful for those who really really feel they have to run a lamp (for warmth) over the roost in the winter... could set it to turn on at 25 F or whatever (probably... I have not actually fondled the item in person so do not know exactly what range of temps it can be set for).

Pat

Last edited:
I have a 'boot tray' (a plastic tray with about 1" edges") that I am going to place under my water and feeders as catch. I think a cargo mat would also work but they could be expensive. A small hard pool (sold at hardware stores for fish), that I am going to use for the dust bath..

Back
Top Bottom