Finished the New Chicken House! Thoughts and Ramblings on Things That Need Input...

"Sorry I have to ask... you’re in Texas? I thought that was supposed to be a barren desert full of oil fields? Just like how I’m in Canada so it must be a frozen wasteland ;) Your chicken house looks great, I’m sure your girls will enjoy it! Those are pretty big feeders and waterers for just two chickens... do I sense some chicken math happening in the future? :rolleyes:"

LOL I grew up in East Texas where it is really wooded with pine and deciduous forests and rolling hills. Here in North East Texas (about two and a half hours from where I grew up) it is flat black land (clay) with wooded areas interspersed with prairie and wetland habitat.

Thank you for the compliment on the house. I used to keep about 2000 birds when I was in my middle teens and used chicken house designed off the one I built for these in four, six, eight, and twelve foot lengths depending on what species and breeds were in them. Turkeys got the biggest and bantams got the smaller. Because of that I know the design is sound. I always used pine chips/shavings as bedding and would scoop them out as needed and replace. So the sand is a bit of a departure from what I'm used to. I also never had to cover the 60 or so pens I had, so covering this one with deer netting is going to be a bit of a pain, but I think it is necessary to keep them safe. I've just seen too many birds of prey hunting (and migrating) through the area.

As for the total amount of chickens...lol I am planning on getting another four or five Silver-laced Orpington hens to go with this pair in the future. I'd also like to add a couple of Lavender hens and another pen of ten or so Black/Blue/Splash Orpingtons so that I can work on Silver-laced Lavender and Silver-laced Blue/Splash Orpington Projects respectively. I would also like to track down some quality LF Salmon Faverolles to put in another pen (I'm up to three with them in my head...lol) and the roommate fell in love with Polish, so I'm letting her pick a color and I'm going to build a small pen for a breeding quad.

I used to dream of working with Black and White Javas again and developing a line of Blues by crossing one of Maria Hall's Blue Jersey Giants onto them to introduce the blue gene. And I wouldn't mind having a nice little mixed flock of layers for kitchen eggs. So basically way more chickens than the roommate intended on letting me have...lol

When the barn dries out I'm going to look into keeping it dry and seeing how it could be modified to house birds. It's really quite large. There's a nice concrete pad in their and electricity is run out there. I don't know if it actually works. I haven't had a chance to test it. All the lights are missing bulbs and I haven't drug (waded) something out there to test the outlet.

Next step is tracking down a quality incubator so that I can start setting her eggs once I've managed to get him to successfully breed her. They are very fluffy and he's either not making contact, or not interested. I'm hoping some other hens might increase his interest.

"When you get them back shut them in for a week teach them where home is and do not real surprised if they quit laying take them a bit to adjust to change."

In regards to her laying, I was surprised to have her laying the day after I brought the pair home. Granted it wasn't in a nest box (none of them have been laid in one) but she's kept up with three to four a week. Either way I'm fine with her not laying for a bit so that they can get settled in and I can get an incubator to hatch out some SLO chicks.

I was being facetious... promise! Just the descriptions of the sucking mud and moats around the barns... not the first thing that jumps to, I’m assuming, most people’s minds when you say “Texas”... but it kind of reminds me of our West Coast Island Mud Pit, I mean, “paradise”. I literally had to help pull my husband out of calf deep mud last week near one of our barns, he sank in so deep, very thankfull for high boots! (Suppose he could’ve stepped out of his boots... but so not a good idea around there!) So, I really do feel for the OP!
:lau Ah, that's funny. I got a visual. Ew. :gig

@Nardo I meant to ask you the process you used when mounting the netting over your runs? The pen should be about 25' x 50' give or take. There are some 8-ish ft poles in the barn that I can use to create a peak so I don't have to walk hunched over. The wire is only five ft tall and I'm just over six...lol Did you use zip ties or wires to attach it to the fence? Do you support it? I'm also going to have cut it in order to get it around the tree on one side. How would you recommend closing the cut in the fabric and attaching it to the tree well? The netting is mostly to prevent hawk attacks, but I'd like it as secure as I can get it.

Well I got the fence posts driven yesterday and am going to try to get the wire put up after work as it looks like it is going to rain this weekend. When I got home from work I was shocked to see the house lying on it's roof! It was ridiculously windy yesterday and apparently it managed to flip it. I've since anchored it with additional t-posts and the wire is hopefully going to mount to the house. But either way I'm getting closer to getting my chickens home. I can't wait to see them on that green grass.

"Are you using hardware cloth ? chicken wire many predators can reach through or crawl through."

No, I am using welded wire for the fencing. The only hardware cloth is on the windows and doors of the house they will be sleeping in. I hate chicken wire with a passion and refuse to use it. I have always preferred welded wire for the past fifteen years and nothing is going to change that. The dimensions on the pen are 24' x 40' with the house inside the pen. The top will be covered with deer netting to prevent aerial assault by birds of prey. I am not concerned with smaller nocturnal predators such as opossums or raccoons as the house is secure. I have never once, in all the years I used houses of this design, lost a bird overnight. I have also not lost one while they were in their yard with welded wire fencing. The only reason I am covering this pen is because I do not have outside dogs at this time to provide any sort of protection or visual presence to dissuade hawks (or the bobcat I saw yesterday morning) from attempting to hunt them. I am looking at putting a dog door into the mudroom to allow the standard poodles access to the yard (adjacent the Orpingtons pen). They aren't guard dogs by any means, but they are energetic and are quite capable of barking. However then i have to figure out what to do about the miniature dachshunds during the day as I am not comfortable letting my two girls outside unattended as they are getting very old. I've considered getting a LGD for the strict purpose of patrolling the property and protecting the chickens, but I do not think four acres nor being adjacent to a four lane highway is a very good environment for one.

"Are you using hardware cloth ? chicken wire many predators can reach through or crawl through."

No, I am using welded wire for the fencing. The only hardware cloth is on the windows and doors of the house they will be sleeping in. I hate chicken wire with a passion and refuse to use it. I have always preferred welded wire for the past fifteen years and nothing is going to change that. The dimensions on the pen are 24' x 40' with the house inside the pen. The top will be covered with deer netting to prevent aerial assault by birds of prey. I am not concerned with smaller nocturnal predators such as opossums or raccoons as the house is secure. I have never once, in all the years I used houses of this design, lost a bird overnight. I have also not lost one while they were in their yard with welded wire fencing. The only reason I am covering this pen is because I do not have outside dogs at this time to provide any sort of protection or visual presence to dissuade hawks (or the bobcat I saw yesterday morning) from attempting to hunt them. I am looking at putting a dog door into the mudroom to allow the standard poodles access to the yard (adjacent the Orpingtons pen). They aren't guard dogs by any means, but they are energetic and are quite capable of barking. However then i have to figure out what to do about the miniature dachshunds during the day as I am not comfortable letting my two girls outside unattended as they are getting very old. I've considered getting a LGD for the strict purpose of patrolling the property and protecting the chickens, but I do not think four acres nor being adjacent to a four lane highway is a very good environment for one.

I’m glad you’re thinking ahead and looking at the LGD needs, temperament, before jumping into the “a LGD will fix all my predator threats” bandwagon. I’m not knocking them, but they are a huge commitment and not suited to all situations, which can lead to big problems.

If your poodles are fairly chicken friendly it could be a very happy partnership. I’ve also met standard bred poodles better trained as guard dogs than most of the breeds that jump to peoples minds at that description. They are one of the smartest breeds out there, and no laughing matter when the get defensive!

X2 on keeping the miniature dachshunds safe... coyotes and eagles are both able to take small dogs for dinner.

i had a tin roof on the coop and had to change it out since it got soooooo hot, not sure if an entire chicken house made of tin will be better or worse, have you tested it out in the location? what is the internal temperature? can you touch the sides without burning your hand?

** disregard, I see you are putting it under a tree, hopefully that will be OK!!

Back
Top Bottom