Chicken garden?

Deleon98

Songster
Dec 26, 2015
Florida
If i start a garden for my chickens will they be more likey to stay in my yard then wander? And also whay kind of things could i pit for them to pick at?

They'll wander where ever their little beaks lead them. Even if you give them a wonderful garden full of the choicest greens, they'll have to go next door to see what the neighbors have for goodies.

If i start a garden for my chickens will they be more likey to stay in my yard then wander? And also whay kind of things could i pit for them to pick at?

Do you fee range already and have a problem with keeping them near? How large is your yard? If you have a small yard, it will not keep them in. Ranging chickens are looking for numerous things, insects being primary, but also good dirt for a bath, yummy seeds, new grass, ect. if you are trying to keep chickens in you really need a good tall fence.

Theyre still chicks at the moment lol when they get older i want to free range them but i dont want any problems with neighbors and dont have a fence yet so ig ill have to get them a tractor or something :p

Last edited:
They won't just 'pick at' plants....
......they will eat and/or scratch up everything, down to bare dirt, that they can get their beaks and feet on.

Knowing now that you aren't going to entice chickens to stay at home unless you fence them in, (preferably a covered run like a tractor), I'll answer your original question about what plants chickens like that are likely to survive their activity.

Most sod grasses are very vulnerable because the roots are shallow and the chickens' scratching uproots and eventually kills the lawn. It take a few years to get established, but the best grass seed to plant with chickens in mind is native bunch grass species. This grass grows in bunches, not a mat, and it's a perennial so the root systems eventually grow very deep, making it very hard for chickens to dig up. Chickens need good grasses to eat.

Likewise, shrubbery with edible berries would be a good choice since large shrubs are deeply rooted and will resist chickens digging them up. As you add more plants for the benefit of your chickens, make sure to choose things with deep roots, non toxic leaves and berries and flowers, and protect them from the chickens until the plants are well established.

Ok this is rlly helpful info iil make sure to keep that in mind! Do you think forty dollars would be enough to make a tractor?

Last edited:
Ok this is rlly helpful info iil make sure to keep that in mind! Do you think forty dollars would be enough to make a tractor?

Not unless you are handy and have some material around. You can use about anything, scrap wood, those wooden boxes that are used for shipping (for the life of me I cannot remember what they are called) If you have a coop already, then you just need fencing you can move. If you can find estate sales, you could get alot of useful material.

I was thumping of going to home depot to buy supplies for pvc and chicken wire but idk what measurements for a good size

Back
Top Bottom