Chicken genetics question

DuckieG

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Traphill, NC
We have 17 Barred Rock babies and we were going to keep the 2 best roosters of the bunch. I found out that the man that we bought them from hatched them himself and he only had 4 hens and one rooster, so these guys are closely related. I don't want to have little inbred babies--should I be looking for a couple of able young men now or do I have a couple of generations before I see trouble? I gotta say though, I LOVE these little chickens. So friendly and happy.

You should be O K for another generation at least. Then you would have plenty of time to look around for someone to trade with, or to buy some eggs from.

Jim

Hey DuckieG have you been to the Plymouth Rock club site? You can download the standard of perfection for Plymouth Rocks. It is from 1917 but is still good. The picture make it worth it for it goes into how each type of feather should look like. The only thing I know is wrong now is the tail set for the hens. Book has it at 35 degrees and it is not 40 degrees. If you want the link to it just PM i shall send it too you.

That is a relief. I think I would rather find an adult roo later, if possible, so I know what I am getting, especially with the temperament. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom