1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken gone for two days and returns to poop big!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Granma in Costa Rica, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Granma in Costa Rica

Granma in Costa Rica Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    warning...there is a photo of chicken poop at the bottom of this post. I am guessing that many of the posters here are not going to be grossed out by chicken poop.

Here in the Costa Rican jungle, life can be over quickly for a free-range chicken.

Two nights ago, Gwendolah Dahlink (photo below) did not return to the coop. She did not show herself for two nights.

Today there was a clatter in the yard. The rooster and Gwendola were kicking up such a fuss that My Labrador got a little excited. Gwendola was puffing herself up all big like they do when they are protecting their young and running from both the rooster and the other chickens. I could see no harm on her, only a dried leaf stuck to her leg.

As the rooster, Mr. Bill, chased, and Beamer barked, Gwendolah pooped the most incredible poop. (also photo below)

I do not know, but I am guessing that somehow she got herself stuck somewhere and this was her first poop in two days. Of course it could be anything here in the Central American

[​IMG]Jungle! [​IMG]

2. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Could she be broody and have a nest somewhere? Maybe she was sitting on a nest and didn't leave to poop? I've often wondered just how many times a day a chicken poops. Weird question, I'm sure. But all day long I see them pooping, and then all night they must poop because there sure is lots under their roosts!!

3. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Congratulations ! You have a broody hen with a hidden nest somewhere. With everything you described and her poop she has a nest for sure! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by