(Chicken got a cold?) Added Info.(MS/MG,ILT,CRD,NPIP)

I'm also dealing with a mild form of MG, I think! Just occasional sneezing... My girls free range and picked it up from wild birds I'm sure of.. ... It stinks bc it's my first time owning chickens... But we live in the country and we have wild birds, mice ect..... I could cull and start over but I would still have the same issues again.... So I choose to let them live happy in the sunshine too.... I never dreamed I would become so attached!! I don't think antibotics really have helped, I just try to keep their immune system up with vitamins.

I would look for something else for just occasional sneezing. Dusty?

Yes, dusty.... Dry, hot!! Sneezing is the only symptom I hear or see, other than being skinny.... Never had chickens bf so I'm not sure how big or how much they are suppose to weigh at 21 weeks.... Expecially hatchery quality.... Regardless, I think it's a very mild case if that's what it is..... They are happy little chickens , they follow me like I'm their momma, I love them, and want them to lay me some eggs!! Lol

A very interesting, informative and thought provoking thread. A hot topic and very much in front of poultry folks - AGAIN.
I don't know how accurate the 90+% of non-commercial flocks are positive as stated but it's a figure I've heard from my NPIP guy and relayed by friends from other states' NPIP inspectors. The more I research poultry disease the more convinced that it's a very high percentage and the breeding for resistance approach promoted is far more realistic than the attempt to maintain a "clean" flock that can be challenged by a good stiff wind at the drop of a hat. In my own mind I've started equating MG/MS to coccidia - it's everywhere, there are several strains of varying virulence, it can be survived or fatal - often dependent on that absence or presence of natural resistance, general condition and other contributing factors that contribute to decline or bolstering of that resistance.

To ANYONE that claims to have a 100% negative flock - do you test? Send a bird(s) off to state labs - doesn't cost that much and you will learn A LOT about the REAL condition of your birds and the state of your flock. Ignorance (and denial) are bliss - but if you really want to do right by your birds - test. Don't worm your birds or only use Wazine as you've never noticed indication they needed it? Don't trust me - State vet will tell you ALL birds have worms. Rarely have a bird croak, never lose a chick or see cause for alarm? Dosen't mean a thing - you can still be positive. Even tho most of this thread is dated it's good to see people come out and honestly discuss their experiences. So much more productive than the fierce denial, cover ups and BS or the backlash of "horror" by people that blithely "assume" tis not their issue .

My small flock of 6 are 7 months old. They have a wonderful coop that my husband and I designed to be airy, not drafty and dry.

Last week Wednesday my rooster had a bubbly eye, and today, Sunday, he's coughing relatively infrequently, I can tell he's a bit congested when he crows.

Today I have 2 of my layers with a watery eye.

Everyone free ranges, I've noticed the wild birds in the pen as well. From what I'm reading this is a viral attack, and the strongest survive. They have fresh water, good food, I don't know what else I can do to improve them.

I'm wanting to breed some specialty birds. They are sure to be exposed, though. Does this all mean that I forge ahead and only cull those who don't have the ability to resist the virus?

I absolutely don't want to treat with antibiotics unless I have to do it. The girls just started laying!

Here's the thing, there is some indication that a 12 month Denagard treatment program MAY keep the birds from becoming carriers. Yes, you can choose not to treat, let those that die die. let those that survive become carriers, have 30% less productive layers and eventually future generations will have improved resistance. Or, you can treat your entire flock for 3-5 days initially, cull those that don't respond well by the 3rd day and treat them once a month for a year and maybe come through on the other end with a flock that is not sick, won't spread to others and produce more resistant offspring. You can also treat your flock, warm/cold Tylan/Denagard dip your hatching eggs and produce clear chicks for a replacement flock. What you can't ethically do is not tell others you've had exposure in your flock. I understand not wanting to use antibiotics if it can be avoided - the Denagard has been widely used and become accepted practice in Europe where Avian approval has been sought and granted. Here in the states simply not enough $ for manufacturers to jump through the hoops. Your flock. Continue researching and come to your own conclusions on how to best manage it. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom