(Chicken got a cold?) Added Info.(MS/MG,ILT,CRD,NPIP)

This is a Quote from a website
(Once the birds inhale Oxine, it works as a disinfectant to kill the growing fungus in the trachea and lungs by direct contact. Once killed, the fungus is gone forever from the bird's system and eliminates any further irritation from the infection. The only time Oxine won't work is if it's administered after the bird's own defenses have 'walled off' the fungus (put a coating over it to isolate it from the healthy cells). If this happens, the Oxine cannot make direct contact with the fungus, and therefore, cannot kill it. It is then up to the bird's own defenses to recover.)
But If you treat with this in the early sign is it saying they are not a carrier anymore.
http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page11.htm
This is another website I found.

http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/oxine.htm

Last edited:
It would be interesting if you all could contact your State Vet, Poultry Tech and Diagnostic Lab to see if they could begin a testing program to see just what numbers show up that are positive and negative from the back yards in your community, then find out how many hatcheries/farms are in your area and see if they test for MG etc.
I have done some of my own research that allows me to feel that what I have is "normal" and I treat my birds for the secondary infections only. With good food, clean air and care, they are fine.

Send this link from BYC to your State Poultry folks in your State Government, I think it would be something really super interesting to see what folks know.

I am trying to gain understanding on this subject. Please correct me if I am misunderstanding. Most Hatcheries are positive for at least MS and MG correct? Most poultry in the U.S.A. probably have these diseases. These diseases can supposedly be gotten from the wild birds. The symptoms only show up when the birds are stressed or have some other problem. It would seem than, if it is so easy to catch, it would be better to simply try and keep them healthy rather than to spend a lot more on stock that are supposed to be free. Meaning, if you bought negative stock, they might just catch it from the sparrows or hawks etc. So it would be better to keep them on pasture and try to keep them in the best environment possible so the symptoms do not appear?

Now. If you have a bird that shows it, will it ever get well? Or will it always be contagious? So, it would always be able to infect other birds once the disease has shown itself in them? If you have negative stock, how would it be transmitted to them from positive birds?
Can other types of poultry have this disease also? Do ducks ever get it?
Thank you for this thread!

Last edited:
Oxine will not kill Mycoplasmas, I called them and asked, Tek-Trol and the 10 to 15 percent bleach to water mixture will kill Mycoplasmas. And there are False Positives, the birds I had that had Mycoplasmas were tested by the Diagnostics Lab, they actually did more than one test, they did 3 and actually grew the stuff from the Blood I sent them, so there is a difference in the tests they use, I don't know the exact difference, but my Vet told me they did more than one test to make sure there was no False Positive and to get accurate results.

As far as the states go for testing, if you do a search for import regulations, there are currently lists of what each state is specific about for diseases for shipping birds and hatching eggs. I know there are 3 lists that I have saw, I don't know where to tell you to find them, I know at one time a couple of years ago I posted links to araucana chickens, one is in Guinea Fowl I think. And the 75 to 90 percent, I have been told that by several different poultry science people, one was PA, another was in WI and I also was told that here in Ohio, and I was told by CT it was all over the New England States, so I didn't come up with those figures out of thin air.

How do I post the links to the Information for the States if I can find them again? Possibly the information is already here, could it be in the files somewhere? It should be here for all of the people to see from all of the different states. It's Regulations for shipping, that much I remember, and its different from state to state, for some reason I remember Minnesota, and Mississippi as being stricter, it's been a long time since I've looked for those lists. Texas was also another one that was more specific.

Houndit,

The questions you posed are the reason people have the attitude they're not going to beat the odds. Just because you don't see any symptoms physically in your birds doesn't mean you're safe. The real way to know for sure is to test your birds. This is not a condition that only shows itself one time as cold symptoms, it is a deteriorating disease. Mycoplasma Synoviae will cause your birds to become lame, one day they'll be limping, then a few days later you may find the limping bird dead. Some of these birds don't live to be a year old, and it will kill chicks up to 4 months of age almost immediately. Even the right medication after so much damage is done sometimes won't work to reverse the damage. And just because a bird breaks over into symptoms doesn't always mean that bird is the one that has it, you have to know your birds medically to understand what is going on with them.

I'll give you an example of what I mean, I helped a woman whose birds were tested Positive, we treated her birds and hatched chicks out six months after she was diagnosed Positive and after treatments with what I use. The state came back out and retested her birds, this time her birds tested clean of it. The woman wanted to sell hatching eggs and had people that were waiting for eggs. She sold eggs to someone else I know, who had an Epedemic state of Mycoplasmas in her bird earlier the same year, she got what I use and saved her birds with it, she didn't continue using it, and put it away to use if she ever had the symptoms again, she continued to get eggs from others and hatch them, not giving it a second thought about the eggs she was hatching were from untested flocks, she purchased eggs from my friend whose birds were clean, she incubated those eggs with a bunch of other eggs from untested flocks, the chicks all hatched out together in the same Incubator, after 15 days, my friends chicks died on this woman, and when that happened the woman thought my friends birds were sick, when infact it was the other way around, the other chicks that hatched were the ones that were truly sick and carriers. All chicks would have survived if the woman would have taken the bottle out of the cupboard and used it on them all as day olds, it is used on day olds to prevent the lesions from forming. And its rediculously easy to use, you mix very little in the water for 3 to 5 days, and repeat every 3 weeks for 3 to 5 days until they are over the age of 4 months old, then give monthly for 3 to 5 days, it's that simple.

As far as a bird having it and showing the symptoms getting better, it depends on what you use to treat it with and the strain of Mycoplasmas as to how viralent it is, as far as your other birds getting infected would depend upon if you can control the mycoplasma and use preventative maintance for your other birds as well as your biosecurity. Mites are another issue, they can spread it from one bird to the next, so monitoring your birds for mites is something else we all have to do. I eliminate straw alltogether because straw is hollow and is a great place for mites to harbor, I use pine chips and hay. Easiest way to clean is a garden sprayer with 10-15 percent bleach to water mix, remove the bedding and droppings and the birds to an area like a horse stall for 5 days, saturate their coop including the floor and the ceiling as well as every crack and crevice, treat the birds while they are away, replace their bedding and let the coop air out good in the 5 days, then return them to their coop, and in about 3 weeks treat them again this time in their clean environment, and continue to treat them as well as newly hatched chicks.

I know turkeys can also have Mycoplasmas, I do not know about Ducks, I don't have Ducks or Geese and I do think this would work with Peafowl as well as Guineas. I hope I'm helping, you have to break the cycle and plan to be rid of it. There are others who are using what I use and trying to breed this out of their flocks.

I did just find a really informative Document on Goose Diseases and Mycoplasma is also listed there as well, so Geese can have it, and if Geese can have it I'd say Ducks can have it as well. I know someone else that had Ducks and was using what I use and asked me about using it on his Ducks and I told him at the time I couldn't find any reference to it being used for them, I don't know yet if he treated them with it or not, I'll ask when I go to the Ohio National next week, I'll see him there.

Hopefully I can do this right to give you the Link for the Goose Diseases http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/005/Y4359E/y4359e0g.htm When you go thru the Diseases, look at Mycoplasma and also look at Venereal Diseases, hope this helps everybody, at least now I know what I use can be used on the Geese, I just don't know about the dosages, so that will be an exploration to find that information.

I have been reading this post and am unclear about the eating of the eggs.... if you have birds that you believe may have MG, can you eat their eggs? I seem to find conflicting information, I do not want to harm my children or family. The kids always prefer "dipping eggs" and if you have to cook the eggs entirely, fine, but if someone else cooks it and isn't all that careful.....

We are trying to decide if we need to cull the entire flock this weekend
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom