Chicken got attacked - cut on chest area and has green pus

I would not allow her out until completely healed for exactly this reason. Can you clean the dirt out?
I brought her in again and cleaned it out as best I could. Most of the dirt did come out. I also applied some neosporin to be safe. I'll leave her in the house in a box tonight and monitor the wound tomorrow. Thanks for your input

So after about 6 days, our chicken healed surprisingly well. We put her out in the coop again and she seemed to be okay. However, since the wound cut a large part of skin away from her body, there is an open space where a lot of dirt has collected. It is almost all dry which is reassuring but there is one part deeper in the wound that is slightly moist.

I am wondering if we should try cleaning this out at all? Some of the dirt seems pretty stuck to the area. I'm a little worried about it opening up again. There are no signs of infection and she seems to be eating and drinking normally. Any advice would be appreciated!
I brought her in again and cleaned it out as best I could. Most of the dirt did come out. I also applied some neosporin to be safe. I'll leave her in the house in a box tonight and monitor the wound tomorrow. Thanks for your input

It's good that you cleaned it back out - take a good look and see exactly how deep that may be.
I've never used it, but it seems that quite a few people use Pine Tar to pack a wound like that- something to consider looking into.
As for her being out - that's your call. I've had birds ripped up and with open wounds and I generally leave them out unless they are getting picked at or are in shock, then I may keep them in overnight. I tend to the wound 1-2 times a day, clean as needed and pack with triple antibiotic ointment.
Monitor for bad odors, red angry tissue at the wound, oozing pus and change in behavior (lethargy/going off food, etc.)

It's good that you cleaned it back out - take a good look and see exactly how deep that may be.
I've never used it, but it seems that quite a few people use Pine Tar to pack a wound like that- something to consider looking into.
As for her being out - that's your call. I've had birds ripped up and with open wounds and I generally leave them out unless they are getting picked at or are in shock, then I may keep them in overnight. I tend to the wound 1-2 times a day, clean as needed and pack with triple antibiotic ointment.
Monitor for bad odors, red angry tissue at the wound, oozing pus and change in behavior (lethargy/going off food, etc.)
Very helpful, thank you!

I agree with ALL the advice given. We had a dog attack that left one of our hens with a nasty looking vent but by following advice from this awesome community what we thought was an end to her egg laying days is now a healthy EGG LAYING buff orpington. My advice is to try Epsom salts bath to keep the area clean, trim away feathers so they don't keep the wound open and the neosporin. Chickens are amazing at how quickly they can heal from what looks like a deadly injury. Please keep us posted on her recovery.

Back
Top Bottom