Chicken got attacked - cut on chest area and has green pus

ebl081

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2020
We're not sure what got to this chicken but she got a nasty cut on her chest area yesterday morning, we think it was maybe a dog. There was minimal bleeding and we cleaned it out best we could and applied neosporin to it. It is tough to see how big the wound actually is because of the feathers. We have her isolated in a box in our home with food and water and she seems to be drinking and eating. However, I just checked her today and there is some green pus around the wound. Unfortunately a vet is not an option for us. She is a 5 month old Golden Laced Wyandote.

These are the best I could get

IMG_1781.jpg
IMG_1785.jpg

I'd advise cutting off feathers around area, feathers make it warmer... better environment for bacteria. I am no chicken doctor but I'd clean the wound, cut off feathers, see size of wound. If large, stitch and apply more anti bacterials. Probably infected if pus.... chicken antibiotics?

I used some anti-bacterial wipes and an epsom salt bath - that is really all I had on hand and I read that online. We dried her off really well with paper towels. I don't have any chicken antibiotics but if that is something that can be bought at a local store then that is possible for us to get

We're not sure what got to this chicken but she got a nasty cut on her chest area yesterday morning, we think it was maybe a dog. There was minimal bleeding and we cleaned it out best we could and applied neosporin to it. It is tough to see how big the wound actually is because of the feathers. We have her isolated in a box in our home with food and water and she seems to be drinking and eating. However, I just checked her today and there is some green pus around the wound. Unfortunately a vet is not an option for us. She is a 5 month old Golden Laced Wyandote.
Flush that wound really well. If you don't have an antiseptic (chlorhexidine/betadine) then use warm soapy water, working the debris and gunk from the wound, rinse well.
Trim the feathers back from the wound so you can see it better - this also helps it stay cleaner.
Apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wound. (Like Original Neosporin or Store Brand).

Don't stitch it, don't wrap it.

Flush that wound really well. If you don't have an antiseptic (chlorhexidine/betadine) then use warm soapy water, working the debris and gunk from the wound, rinse well.
Trim the feathers back from the wound so you can see it better - this also helps it stay cleaner.
Apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wound. (Like Original Neosporin or Store Brand).

Don't stitch it, don't wrap it.
Thank you all for your help! I got some betadine and cleaned and rinsed as best I could. I couldn't get all of the green stuff off as some was pretty stuck to the flesh but after rinsing I dried it well and put Original Neosporin on the wound. Hopefully any infection is killed at this point. I put an ibuprofen and electroyte tablet in her water. I'll post an update as we progress.

Thank you all for your help! I got some betadine and cleaned and rinsed as best I could. I couldn't get all of the green stuff off as some was pretty stuck to the flesh but after rinsing I dried it well and put Original Neosporin on the wound. Hopefully any infection is killed at this point. I put an ibuprofen and electroyte tablet in her water. I'll post an update as we progress.
Great job, mama ❤️

So after about 6 days, our chicken healed surprisingly well. We put her out in the coop again and she seemed to be okay. However, since the wound cut a large part of skin away from her body, there is an open space where a lot of dirt has collected. It is almost all dry which is reassuring but there is one part deeper in the wound that is slightly moist.

I am wondering if we should try cleaning this out at all? Some of the dirt seems pretty stuck to the area. I'm a little worried about it opening up again. There are no signs of infection and she seems to be eating and drinking normally. Any advice would be appreciated!

IMG-1806.JPG
IMG-1807.JPG

Back
Top Bottom