chicken grammer question

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Angiebubs, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Can you help settle a "heated discussion"?
    Can the word chicken be used as a plural? example "how many chicken are you going to get?" or would it be "how many chickens are you going to get?"
    Im arguing that chicken can be plural...example "chicken coop"-you don't keep only one chicken in a coop...or if buying chicken=you dont say"Im going to buy chickens for dinner"?....

Anyone?

2. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    When referring to more than one chicken, the correct term to use is "chickens", i.e. "Save those scraps, we'll give them to the chickens." When in doubt, look at the name of the website "backyardchickens"

3. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    it can be plural. the examples your using. Talking about live birds its chickens

4. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Then why isn't it "Chickens coop?" Ive been searching the internet and appears there are many others arguing this one out as well.

5. Criskin

Criskin Lost somewhere in a book

I agree with Iowa Roo Mom. Good examples for your side but it seems that most dwellings are referred to in the singular even for multiple inhabitants, i.e. a doll house, duck pond or a horse barn.

6. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    BaileaFarm=thank you LOL these things bug me! And my better half is thinking this is hilarious and is teasing me unmercifully

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:The same reason you don't have too or more chickens. You have two or more chickens. See English language thread.

8. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Goat shed
    Dog house
    Duck pond
    Bird house
    Pickle jar
    Potato chip bag
    I have no clue why but it seems consistent.

9. Nic&Chickies

Nic&Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    New Britain, CT
    Well, I don't have a dictionary handy, but I am nearly certain that you do need the "s" to make it plural.

In chicken coop, "chicken" is used more as an adjective, as a coop of the chicken kind (I know, I know, what other kind is there, but that's beside the point I'm trying to work on here)

As far as "chicken" as a grocery product, we don't say beefs, or fishes, it's more of a categorical word.

Trying to explain it --the rules--is frustrating, because I am lucky enough to just naturally know how our English language works, but then, trying to convey it ... I get a little weak (maybe that's part of why I never became an English teacher). It is late, and my usual facility with language has escaped me, so I'll have to subscribe to this thread now, and see if anyone else can explain it better. I hope I helped, and didn't just tick you off or make it more complicated.

10. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Im thinking chicken is plural when used as an abstract noun?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by