Chicken growling at me

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by undine, Nov 17, 2013.

1. undine

undine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I have 8 chickens 2 golden comets, 2 australorps, 2 buff orpingtons, and one barred rock. The barred rock and one of the buff orpingtions are very friendly with me, but every so often the barred rock growls idk if its directly towards me, but she walks around growling. Both of the golden comets growl A LOT when they see me have treats for them, and even when i dont. Do they hate me? Ive had them since their were 2 days old, and now theyre 18 weeks =( what does it mean when they growl?

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Chicken 'growling' isn't necessarily like when a dog growls which usually signals a warning.

If they make a noise when you give them treats, I would think you could assume that it's a happy sound.

Chicken vocabulary can be difficult, or just time consuming, to learn...lol!

3. Katt66

Katt66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Barnesville, PA
    I think I know the growling you are talking about. My EE rooster "growls" while I'm filling his food bowl. Or pretty much any time I have the jar that he knows his fermented feed comes out of in my hand. I'm pretty sure he's actually expressing his happiness about the food. I always take it as a sort of "Hey! how are you? Where have you been?" As it always seems to be a greeting.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  4. Calomel

Calomel Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2012
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I know the sound! Sort of a loud, low, gravelly "buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk". I don't believe it is an angry sound, my top three hens out of five all do it when they see me coming and boy do they come running for treats. Your girls probably are just begging for tasty things from you, and have you associated with good stuff. I usually interpret it as, "Hey! You have food! Give food? Give food now? Noooooowwwwwwwwww?"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by