Chicken Gurus are these Roos??

tbelcher

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 4, 2014
Is this one a Roo? Its supposed to be a hen but?? (Black astralorp)

This is the same bird, is it a roo?

This is a hen of the same age.

And I got a bunch of auracana pullets and one roo but since day one haven't known who the rooster was. Do you think this little guy is a rooster???

Also what is a good hen to rooster ratio?? I have 15 "hens" and 1 rooster. If the black astralorp turns out to be a rooster and the other mystery auracana is that too many roosters for 13 hens?? Thank you in advance, I'm new to chickens
love.gif

I'm not sure about the first Aussie, they get some pretty good sized head gear so it could be a pulley still.
The Araucana (which isn't an Araucana- they are rumpless and tufted < don't have tails and have feathers sprigs next to their ear lobes) is for sure a boy. His little pea comb is already large and red and he's showing alot of rust in his feathers.

I am not sure about the genders. However, if they are boys and they get along, 3 Roos with 15 hens may be okay as long as they don't fight.
I have 2 Roos for my 10 hens and they get on perfectly. It seems to be easier on them when it comes to watching the ladies. For example, if the hens split up while free ranging, the 2 boys will split up and make sure every lady is protected. I have 3 troublemaker ladies and sometimes they will hop the fence to my front yard and one of the boys will always go with them while the other stays with the rest.
Multiple Roos who work together and get along can be a blessing!

welcome-byc.gif

None of the Aussies look like roosters, but knowing age would help cement that.

I do think that little Easter egger is a rooster.

As far as roosters to hens, that's always a try it and see how it goes kind of thing. Lots of space for the pullets to get away from amorous young cockerels, and just watch and see how things go. I've had as dense a ratio as 4 roosters to 16ish hens, and everyone did just fine, but they were totally free ranged and that made a lot of difference.

Back
Top Bottom