Chicken has had off/on diarrhea and droopiness for several weeks

stephencg

Hatching
May 16, 2023
This is a case of a sick chicken, though not exactly an emergency.

I have a flock of 16 chickens, of various ages and breeds, as well as two guinea fowl and two geese.

Several months ago, several of the chickens got diarrhea and showed general symptoms of droopiness and listlessness. Thinking that worms might be the problem, I wormed all of them twice, two weeks apart. This seemed to improve them. But one of the chickens, which is about 2 1/2 years old and some sort of uncertain Americauna mix, eventually started showing the symptoms again - diarrhea (runny poop on the feathers below her vent), listlessness, and getting thinner. Sometimes she seems healthy, running around the yard with the other chickens and eating plenty, and I think she's getting over it, but eventually she gets droopy and listless again. At such times she often stays in the coop or sits huddled on the ground much of the time. She eats when offered food, but her crop often seems to be empty in the evening when the other chickens have full crops. The past few days she seems to be getting worse, and worryingly thin. None of the other chickens seem to be showing these symptoms right now.

Any advice would be welcome as far as what might be wrong and what could be done. Thanks!

I had a similar issue. I changed their diet. My neighbor was giving them certain chicken treats with larvae in them or something. We stopped giving those treats and saw a reduction in diarrhea. I'm not saying that was necessarily it but something to consider.

I had a similar issue. I changed their diet. My neighbor was giving them certain chicken treats with larvae in them or something. We stopped giving those treats and saw a reduction in diarrhea. I'm not saying that was necessarily it but something to consider.
Thanks - I do I’ve them soldier fly larva

Back
Top Bottom