Chicken has infected wounds and abscess from fox attack- need advice!!!

Pics
She is actually acting totally normal and seems to be better each day! Today was the first day she hopped out of the box we have her in, so we had to put something on top. But I will take her to the vet because I don’t want the infection to cause her to go downhill again. Just wasn’t sure if there was a cheaper way of treating with antibiotics at home.
PLEASE take the chicken to the vet, don’t be that person that try’s to help there very sick pet at home and just lets it suffer more and more get it help!!! It’s clearly gonna dye a very slow painful death if u don’t get it help so just imagine being in it’s place

Thank you! So those antibiotics would be for if I didn’t go to the vet correct?
Yes, make the Betadine tea colored. Chlorhexidene is available at most drug stores or some feed stores. 2% is ideal for spraying or dabbing on a wound. Hibiclens is 4% and can be mixed with water.

Fish mox amoxiciilin antibiotics can sometimes be found on shelves at TSC, and also is online. Here is a link for it:
https://www.allivet.com/p-2377-fish...MImfe38vu_7QIVieHACh1mwQdpEAAYAyAAEgK7ivD_BwE

:barnieMiss hen has also started picking at the wounds on her chest now and caused one to bleed, and now she won’t stop. I guess it’s a sign she’s more back to normal since she was hardly preening her feathers before this.

:barnieMiss hen has also started picking at the wounds on her chest now and caused one to bleed, and now she won’t stop. I guess it’s a sign she’s more back to normal since she was hardly preening her feathers before this.
Do you have some of that spray to keep her from pecking? It’s purple colored, stains and tastes bad. That might help. The picking I assume is a good sign of healing.
I’m new to this thread, so not sure if it was suggested before, but epsom salt soaks are good to keep the wounds clean too.

Do you have some of that spray to keep her from pecking? It’s purple colored, stains and tastes bad. That might help. The picking I assume is a good sign of healing.
I’m new to this thread, so not sure if it was suggested before, but epsom salt soaks are good to keep the wounds clean too.
I think you are confusing 2 sprays. There is Blue Kote, which is purple and converse p the wound and any blood so they don't want to pick at it, but you don't want to use that because it dries out the wound. Pick no more tasted bad but is clear.

She is actually acting totally normal and seems to be better each day! Today was the first day she hopped out of the box we have her in, so we had to put something on top. But I will take her to the vet because I don’t want the infection to cause her to go downhill again. Just wasn’t sure if there was a cheaper way of treating with antibiotics at home.
If she is doing okay, then clean it and do all the things suggested but go to the avian vet on Thursday. That is what I would do, I am no expert though.

That’s good! I would still take her to the vet just to make sure

If she is doing okay, then clean it and do all the things suggested but go to the avian vet on Thursday. That is what I would do, I am no expert though.
So I called the avian vet yesterday and they said they actually don’t have any more openings this week, so I ended up taking her to the emergency vet last night. The vet wanted to sedate her in order to really clean and debride the wounds as she said the tissue didn’t look good, and she also has a crop puncture which I found out right before taking her to the vet last night when I gave her some water and she drank a ton and all of a sudden it started pouring out of her wound onto the kitchen floor. Somehow I never noticed it leaking when she drank before though and I watched her drink several times after she got injured!! So I don’t know if me trying to clean the wounds out punctured it somehow?? Anyway, it was going to be extremely expensive, far more than we anticipated (almost $1000) to go through with all the treatments the vet suggested and there was no way we could spend that much on a chicken so we just had her do a minor cleaning of the wounds and give antibiotics, which still came to $340, still more than we would have liked. The vet strongly suggested we take her to a primary vet in a few days to get the wounds cleaned again because she isn’t sure they’re going to heal without debridement. However, we can’t possibly spend more on this chicken, I’m starting to think maybe we should have just put her down, like is all this money, time and effort worth it for a chicken?? She is my favorite one, but they can be replaced.. but now we’re too far in and I want to give her the best chance of living as possible so that the money we spent last night doesn’t go to waste.. soo I need some more advice now please!!! Anything I can do for the crop puncture? She must be getting some food and water in as she’s still pooping (although I don’t know if normally) and acting happy and alert. Her one wing is drooping a lot more than it was though. But I’ve read we should feed her soft foods, right? And how should I continue cleaning the wounds on my own? Still the saline and iodine? Is there any way I can debride the wounds myself? We really cannot take her to the vet again. Any thoughts are appreciated, you guys have helped me a lot already, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom