Chicken has infected wounds and abscess from fox attack- need advice!!!

Oh boy... it wouldn’t be from drinking a lot of water at one time? Ok so just dab it on, not scrub it or anything? Thanks. So keep giving her water even if it’s draining out? I’m afraid the wound won’t heal and will remain a fistula.
The poop looks like there could be bile from a liver problem or E.coli infection, but we are not vets here. To really clean the wound, I would take the half strength betadine and gauze pads and dab it on twice daily, followed by antibiotic ointment. You can weaken the betadine more later. A better antiseptic to have around would be 2% chlorhexidene. Hopefully the sulfa antibiotic will help. I would give her water as she needs it.

The vet really didn’t do much for $340😭😭 the antibiotics were only $20 and then she gave her a $70 pain med and didn’t even clean the wounds that well ugh..

I don’t have all the answers, but if she is craving water, she needs to have fluids. Fluids (saline or lactated ringers solution) can be given under the skin by the vet. If she is not leaking, then give her a little more water.

As far as the wound is, if there is gunk on the wound, rub gently. Most disinfectants can be put in a spray bottle, and you can also use a syringe or turky baster to flush a wound. Of course, you don’t want to scrub or do more damage to the large internal wound. Sorry that I cannot help more. It would have been good for the vet to clean out the crop wound and stitch it up.

Hi everyone! I have another question for you all 🙈 so the puncture wounds actually are looking quite good now, they have almost totally scabbed over and closed up now and I haven’t noticed them leaking in a while!🙌 And they don’t appear infected anymore. However, the wound on her back, which I was originally not very concerned about, I think is infected now😭 There’s pus and it’s warm and red. I don’t know how it just got infected now, over 2 weeks after the attack and she just finished her 10 day round of antibiotics! But there was a hard scab on top of the wound for a while and now that’s starting to get soft and come off, but the tissue underneath is not healed, like I tried to pull a piece of the dead skin off and it was bleeding underneath. So should I try to get all the dead tissue off or just leave it to fall off on its own? I don’t want to cause more damage. Also should I be trying to get rid of the pus? I’ll attach a pic below.

The area I circled in red is an area where I pulled off some shriveled up skin that was hanging and now that seems to have gotten infected. I’ve been cleaning the wound with diluted betadine and putting antibiotic ointment on once or usually twice a day, anything else I should be doing? I’m going to try to get some Pen G antibiotics from tractor supply today or tomorrow but the ones in NJ don’t sleep the needles so I’d have to drive all the way to NY because ordering them is going to take a least a week to ship because of the holidays.

Attachments

• 7205C8F1-365E-4F25-B139-90400CB89FDF.jpeg
    7205C8F1-365E-4F25-B139-90400CB89FDF.jpeg
    499.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 77D98B6A-402D-400C-8DDB-042B6305B681.jpeg
    77D98B6A-402D-400C-8DDB-042B6305B681.jpeg
    469.7 KB · Views: 12
Sometimes I have found Fish Mox amoxicillin 250mg capsules at TSC. Dosage is 125-250 mg twice a day.

If you can get some 2% chlorhexidene at the feed store or a pharmacy, that would be good to irrigate the wound if it is infected. Use it with a spray bottle or a syringe or baster. Can you feel any puffiness like there could be pus or liquid under the tissue. Usually with an abscess, it will eventually open on it’s own, or you can lance it and try to squeeze out any pus. If anything comes out, it will smell horrible if there is an abscess.

Ohh ok I found those at Walmart! So that will work too? I didn’t know that! I did find chlorhexidene the other day, but it was so expensive I decided not to buy it since I already have the betadine and it wasn’t infected yet at that point. But I’ll try to get some now. It feels a little puffy, around the edges of the wound, but like swollen, not like there’s liquid underneath I don’t think? The spots of pus feel hard. And the wound doesn’t smell at all which is strange! Where were you thinking there might be an abscess? And should I removed any of that scab/dead tissue? There is a pocket too, I took a pic inside the other day but can’t get it open now to get a pic because it’s getting smaller. But there’s all yellow-ish tissue in there too that kind of looks dead
Sometimes I have found Fish Mox amoxicillin 250mg capsules at TSC. Dosage is 125-250 mg twice a day.

If you can get some 2% chlorhexidene at the feed store or a pharmacy, that would be good to irrigate the wound if it is infected. Use it with a spray bottle or a syringe or baster. Can you feel any puffiness like there could be pus or liquid under the tissue. Usually with an abscess, it will eventually open on it’s own, or you can lance it and try to squeeze out any pus. If anything comes out, it will smell horrible if there is an abscess.

That’s inside the pocket, before the wound got infected. Still looked gross though. The white is a q tip btw. She’s still acting totally fine though which is a good thing. And I’m so glad the crop wound mostly closed up, hopefully that continues to heal ok.

Attachments

• C33D6798-F4B6-4D06-9733-F09233647C8F.jpeg
    C33D6798-F4B6-4D06-9733-F09233647C8F.jpeg
    231.4 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom