Chicken has Injured Ankle/Shank What to do??????

beaconite chicks

Taking a time out
11 Years
Jun 6, 2008
We just bought our first chickens recently, we love them BUT one of our ladies had a shank (ankle area above foot) injury due to a band the farm had on it to identify her age. They took it off but it has really cause her whole foot and ankle to swell and the shank/ankle and scale area to growing around the band for however long they had it on her. It almost looks like a deep cut, she limps really badly, favors the other leg and tends to want to sit around all the time. She is not as active as our other four chickens. What can we do to help it heal or should we return her. I kinda am attached to her already, we nick named her limpy Lucy.

Last edited:
I wish I had some wisdom for you... hope your girl is back on her two feet soon though.

I just have to share that I couldn't figure out for the life of me why someone was posting about an injured SHARK.

hu.gif

Then I noticed it was an "N" rather than a "R"...

It's a good word of caution there what can happen when leg band's aren't checked often enough for size. All you can really do is try to keep it clean and keep her comfortable. It should heal in time, but if the band was really small, it may have already affected her leg growth. You could return her, but my guess is she'll have a better fate if you kept her.

Not sure if this will help but the vet gave me this advice on what to do with my roos feet - he lost his toes due to frostbite. Here is what I do everyday - he has to soak his feet in a solution that they gave me, I then peel the dead skin away, then I put a generous amount of vitamin E cream on, cover it with a non stick pad, wrap with gauze then put vet wrap over that. It is all healing very nicely.

Back
Top Bottom