Chicken has open wound and flap of loose skin on neck

Thank you. I’m going to discuss these options over with my brother and see what he thinks the best option would be. He’s more experienced than me. I’ll keep posting updates in case anyone else is interested in the outcome.
Just don't try using any painkillers, all of the -cain drugs are really hard on chickens and could kill her from the drug alone. Chickens are good at handling and getting over pain quickly (as you can tell by her not being bothered by the big hole in her neck). Not to say you should inflict pain unnecessarily but using sharp scissors or a scalpel to quickly remove a skin flap shouldn't bother her too much.

If you can get the flap to cover the wound, and can spray vetericyn on it, and wrap it with gauze or tshirt material around her, there could be a chance that it acts as a flap or skin graft. @azygous has had some experience with that. If there is dirt in or on the wound, spraying or cleaning it with water or saline first might help. It might be worth trying. Even a large animal vet might offer help. Superglue is commonly used in some surgeries, including crop surgery. I hope that you can save her.

Cutting it would leave a more open wound and make it more difficult to heal. She could probably use stitches, but if you don't have any experience with that or don't feel comfortable doing that superglue would work well after cleaning it.

UPDATED PHOTOS
I have better photos. Plus good news and 2 parts of bad news. Kinda Bad News: First part, I sprayed blu kote on it when it first happened (because I was scared of others pecking her) so you can’t tell how it really looks. Wish I hadn’t of done that :/ Second part, she accidentally cut something while we caught to get updated photos. Not sure what she cut but it’s bleeding; not a lot of blood just a little. Good News: we have a local vet who charges cheap who might be able to help. We just have to wait to even see if he is available. Crossing our fingers he is. And the skin holding the flap is small so cutting is still up in the air.
421BF18F-B2C2-4595-81E2-548B00336175.jpeg
4C204127-93D1-4E9A-81F1-1D892AE5660F.jpeg
77C9035B-0740-4999-94E2-0D4A9F3B2BBB.jpeg
and again I had already sprayed her with saline before the photos so she’s a little soggy :/

Well, I do think there would be a better chance for survival if a vet tended to her wounds. But it is Friday evening, so hopefully they will be open Sat. An emergency vet might be open . Let us know how she does. Do you have any antibiotics, such as amoxicillin?

Well, I do think there would be a better chance for survival if a vet tended to her wounds. But it is Friday evening, so hopefully they will be open Sat. An emergency vet might be open . Let us know how she does. Do you have any antibiotics, such as amoxicillin?
All of our local vet offices are closed and won’t open until tomorrow. The 24/7 ones will just be too expensive for us. I will be calling a local one first thing in the morning tomorrow. We don’t have antibiotics but I am keeping it as clean as possible without stressing her out. I am sorry if I am overloading with information I’m just a worrier.

Sometimes you can find Fish Mox at Tractor Supply, if that might be helpful. They have limited hours and are asking people to order online and pick up at the door at the present time, due to social distancing. I hope the vet can help you.

As long as there's a blood supply to the dangling tissue, it will graft.

I've had good luck with grafting a flap to a wound. I had a hen scalped by a rooster and it involved the entire back of her head, a large wound. The flap takes two or three days to put down "roots" and remain on the wound. After that the wound heals from every direction there is existing tissue and new tissue grows from those over the bare spots. A wound will heal much quicker using the graft. If the graft refuses to "take", no big loss. It will dry up and fall off and the wound will heal in the conventional manner by forming granulation from the edges toward the center.

The key is to flush all of the wound and tissue with saline, not peroxide. Peroxide will kill off new tissue cells. After the wound is clean and free of all dirt, use antibiotic ointment as a "glue" to paste the skin flap to the open wound. It doesn't matter how much or how little it covers. Then cover the entire wound and graft with another layer of ointment. Repeat each day until the wound is healed.

Never, never, never let the wound dry out! Always keep ointment on it to keep it moist and to nourish the tissue growth.

As long as there's a blood supply to the dangling tissue, it will graft.

I've had good luck with grafting a flap to a wound. I had a hen scalped by a rooster and it involved the entire back of her head, a large wound. The flap takes two or three days to put down "roots" and remain on the wound. After that the wound heals from every direction there is existing tissue and new tissue grows from those over the bare spots. A wound will heal much quicker using the graft. If the graft refuses to "take", no big loss. It will dry up and fall off and the wound will heal in the conventional manner by forming granulation from the edges toward the center.

The key is to flush all of the wound and tissue with saline, not peroxide. Peroxide will kill off new tissue cells. After the wound is clean and free of all dirt, use antibiotic ointment as a "glue" to paste the skin flap to the open wound. It doesn't matter how much or how little it covers. Then cover the entire wound and graft with another layer of ointment. Repeat each day until the wound is healed.

Never, never, never let the wound dry out! Always keep ointment on it to keep it moist and to nourish the tissue growth.
Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom