Chicken has sour crop and has a broken leg HELP!

lbah03

Chirping
Jun 21, 2019
Nebraska
Good Afternoon,

I checked on my chickens before I left the house yesterday and they were all fine. I was gone for less than an hour and when I returned I found one of my chickens laying in the run not moving. I saw she tried to stand but something was wrong with one of her legs. It appears to be broken higher up on her leg. I can feel the break. Not sure what to do?? Second, when holding her I noticed her crop was squishy, I am assuming it it sour crop from everything I read. I have read many articles on sour crop but not sure what to do. I have a little bit of water with the apple cider vinegar, but she will not drink anything. Any help with both of the medical issues would be appreciated. I do have her isolated and she is in a cat carrier so she doesn’t move too much Thank you

Offer her a little scrambled or raw egg. Add some electrolytes to her water. If she still won’t drink, a vet would be great. Forcing a chicken can be done, but it’s hard. Is her leg bent or bleeding? And could it possibly be bumblefoot?

I will try that with the electrolyte and eggs. No her leg is broken up at the top. Weird spot and not sure how she did it. We managed to get a split on it so hopefully that will help a little. She did perk up a little this evening. She stood up and was standing there on one foot. Feel so bad for her. Hopefully, we can get through this. Thanks for your advice.

Back
Top Bottom