Chicken has tail feathers pointing down after having a compacted crop?????

ChickeWomen77

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 13, 2014
Hello All,

Please can anyone help and advise why my chicken has her tail feather pointing down? She is 2 and a half years old and her bread is a Rhode Island Red.

She is still eating, drinking and pooping, she has a little more urine (White Colour) in her poop than normal, she seems ok in herself just a little sad. Not laying at present as she is moulting.

She recently had a compacted crop which need massaging to bring up what was clogging her crop, Her crop has returned to normal and is empty every morning and fills up during the day as normal.

She was wormed 2 weeks ago, she has also started to moult so am currently giving her moult solution vitamins in her water and high protein food.

Can anyone please help?

Thank you in advance.

Hello and
welcome-byc.gif

Don't worry, I'm sure her tail will be perky once again when she feels better. Most chooks express themselves quite clearly with the tail positioning, and while moulting or feeling ill or recuperating they will lower their tails or close their fan up.

A jaunty and spread tail is often more an expression of attitude, of how they feel, than anything else, though it is heritable to a large degree as well. But then again so is attitude, lol, where does one draw the line?

Best wishes.

Hello All,

Please can anyone help and advise why my chicken has her tail feather pointing down? She is 2 and a half years old and her bread is a Rhode Island Red.

She is still eating, drinking and pooping, she has a little more urine (White Colour) in her poop than normal, she seems ok in herself just a little sad. Not laying at present as she is moulting.

She recently had a compacted crop which need massaging to bring up what was clogging her crop, Her crop has returned to normal and is empty every morning and fills up during the day as normal.

She was wormed 2 weeks ago, she has also started to moult so am currently giving her moult solution vitamins in her water and high protein food.

Can anyone please help?

Thank you in advance.
The molt is hard on chickens. When they are molting they become feverish and sore to the touch. Try to handle your chickens as little as possible while they are in the molt. It'll make them easier to handle after the molt is over.

Thank you very much for your responses. I was just worrying and I know for sure now Maude is moulting, as there are lots off feathers in the run and coop. Looked liked they had a pillow fight.
I can see her new pin feathers coming through. So just think she is feeling a little down. The moult solution vitamin in the water seems to be helping. I also added some to wet the pellets and added meal worms and a little garlic. She tucked in and ate the lot. I have not handled her much as do not want to stress her out. She seems a little more perky today.

Good to hear, hope she feathers in quickly. Might be worth keeping a bit of a closer eye on the chooks in case any of yours begin eating her pinfeathers, it's not too uncommon for that to happen.

Best wishes.

That's really good to know. I will be sure to keep a close eye on them just in case that is happening. Thank you. This is the first serious moult I have experienced,so any help is appreciated. :)

Back
Top Bottom