Chicken has yellow stuff in beak help

Alleybird21

Chirping
Oct 19, 2017
Hawaii
help please my little hen sugar has some yellow stuff in her beak it bothering her so I gave her some salt water I don't have a avian vet anywhere near me and I don't know what to do please help

Pictures would be very helpful. Two possibilities are fowl pox or canker. You can search for articles on both and find pictures to compare. Fowl pox (two forms - dry and wet, usually transmitted by mosquito) is a virus and as such needs to run it's course, all you can really do is provide supportive care, medications will not help except in the case they develop a secondary infection. Canker is a protozoan disease and treated with medication, most commonly Metronidazole – otherwise known as Flagyl which can be in injection or pill form. If you can manage to post some pictures I'm sure you will get a lot more help.

Could be fungus aswell, nystatin should clear it up quickly if it is. Is it accompanied by any type of smell? The above suggestions are all very liekly aswell though.

No scabs or anything but her eyes do seem to be watery and it looks like she's crying there are bubbles coming out of her eyes it looks like

She is likely suffering from a respiratory issue.
Here is a link on what I think it may be, read it thoroughly
https://poultrykeeper.com/respiratory-problems/mycoplasma/
If you agree with me and this article I would recommend putting her on antibiotics as soon as possible. The link provides you with information but baytril is a good bet. If after treating her with this she appears lethargic, this is often a reaction to the baytril.
You need a perscription for baytril or other effective antibiotics for this infection so asking a local vet for a perscription or just explaining the situation to a pharmacist saying there are no vets available and saying someone experienced advised it has always worked for me. Good luck I hope this helps, remember time is of the essence.
PS your other chickens will liekly develop this too.

Back
Top Bottom