Chicken-hater trying to kill my buzz! (Auburn, AL)

Quote:
lol.png
He was quite the character.

I am encouraged because the amendment just passed the planning commission unanimously. Now we just have to get the city council to agree!!!

Thanks for all your encouraging words!

It's very tempting to keep chickens underground...I know a lot of people do it. But I really try to follow the law even when I don't agree with it. For now, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the city council will make the right decision!

Make sure you show up to all the meetings. Also you don't have to look only in the city limits for suporters. I would guess you pull a lot more from the county. Good luck. Glad I don't have to worrie about that.

Quote:
lol.png
He was quite the character.

I am encouraged because the amendment just passed the planning commission unanimously. Now we just have to get the city council to agree!!!

Thanks for all your encouraging words!

It's very tempting to keep chickens underground...I know a lot of people do it. But I really try to follow the law even when I don't agree with it. For now, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the city council will make the right decision!

What a great victory! keep us updated.

"He said that he goes to all the city council meetings and that a source he couldn't reveal"

Sounds like he just might BE the source keeping the law the way it is. You need to attend some meetings and fight for the right to keep some chickens!!

Last edited:
Quote:
X's like a million! It is the same for any animal. If you don't keep where they live clean, it will smell. I have five horses and no fly problem because I keep their stalls and pens clean. They get cleaned out every day. Chicken coops get cleaned once a week and chicken pens get raked out every couple of weeks (they get to free range a lot).

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing only it was more along the line of what a poor business man. If he can't figure out chickens equal more shed sales he might of had a hard time keeping a clean coop and health birds.

My friend who lives in GA (I live in WI) is the one who got me thinking about chickens...she owned 100 of them and I thought she was crazy and everyone told me how stinky (FIL included in this as he had to take care of chickens when young) He also told me they were VERY hard to take care of. I thought twice, yes I did! My friend continued in all her 'happy' talk and I was more and more jealous every day. One day I just said to myself...OK I will get 6 chickens and see just how smelly they really are.

I got those 6 chickens and built one coop 8X8 then I got 6 more and 6 more (had to fill that hen house didn't I?) Then I built another coop and got 8 more chickens and then I had to build ANOTHER coop and got several more...then I stole my hubbys workshed and made that into a coop and got more!
lau.gif
You see what I'm getting at?? They are not stinky OR hard to take care of IMO If you keep your coops clean and take care of them chickens are SO wonderful. SO I cant' give my friend enough thanks for talking me into them
big_smile.png

They are my passion.

Quote:
If it is AT ALL possible, I will be at the city council meeting when it is on the agenda. I am thankful I am finally in contact with some of the people who are organizing the pro-chicken effort.....before, I was having to resort to scouring the city website for info about when chickens were up for discussion.

Hangin Wit My Peeps wrote:

My friend who lives in GA (I live in WI) is the one who got me thinking about chickens...she owned 100 of them and I thought she was crazy and everyone told me how stinky (FIL included in this as he had to take care of chickens when young) He also told me they were VERY hard to take care of. I thought twice, yes I did! My friend continued in all her 'happy' talk and I was more and more jealous every day. One day I just said to myself...OK I will get 6 chickens and see just how smelly they really are.

I got those 6 chickens and built one coop 8X8 then I got 6 more and 6 more (had to fill that hen house didn't I?) Then I built another coop and got 8 more chickens and then I had to build ANOTHER coop and got several more...then I stole my hubbys workshed and made that into a coop and got more! lau You see what I'm getting at?? They are not stinky OR hard to take care of IMO If you keep your coops clean and take care of them chickens are SO wonderful. SO I cant' give my friend enough thanks for talking me into them big_smile

They are my passion.

It is so good for me to hear this....I hear so much good about keeping chickens, but then someone who has kept them before will act like I must be INSANE to keep chickens in my backyard, and it makes me question if I am doing the right thing. I am glad that others who have tried it are enjoying it.

Why do you guys think some people are so soured on keeping chickens? Is it the way they are kept that makes it unpleasant? I know my MIL thinks I'm looney. She keeps talking about finding snakes in the nest boxes and how she can buy organic eggs at Kroger. What do you guys think makes the difference between people who fall in love with having chickens and people who wrinkle up their noses and roll their eyes when you mention it?​

Last edited:
don't get discouraged!! You are on the right track!! THose in my family who teased me the most about getting chickens are the ones who now call me the most wanting eggs! WHen my girls started laying I gave them all a dozen eggs to try and now they think it is great! THey think it is even funnier that I sell the poop!!

Back
Top Bottom