Chicken hates water

Elise14

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 11, 2013
I can't seem to get one of my three year old chickens to drink water!!!!! She has impacted crop and refuses any water i give her.
She has had impacted crop three times and I think it is because of this. Is there anything i can do to get her to drink?
I am getting desperate!!!!

i'm a total newbie (as in, i just got my first chicks last week) but i thought the lady at the feed store told me that the "chick boost" i was buying had electrolytes in it. maybe call your feed store and ask them? i also follow a lady named mavis' blog (one hundred dollars a month, i think it's called) and she mentions something about electrolytes and gatorade for her new chicks in her "how to care for baby chicks" section.

I had something like that in one of my chickens (I found her stuffing herself chicken food) I forced a little water into her mouth and then gently massaging her crop then I only gave her water for the rest of the day tell her crop was empty.

Pedialyte is a good source of electrolytes as well.

Is there a limit on how much i should give her?
Also do you think this recipe would work just as good?

4 cups water
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons sugar of honey
1/2 a teaspoon of salt

Would any thing in that harm chickens?

Is there a limit on how much i should give her?
Also do you think this recipe would work just as good?

4 cups water
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons sugar of honey
1/2 a teaspoon of salt

Would any thing in that harm chickens?
I think Pedialyte would be better.

I can't seem to get one of my three year old chickens to drink water!!!!! She has impacted crop and refuses any water i give her.
She has had impacted crop three times and I think it is because of this. Is there anything i can do to get her to drink?
I am getting desperate!!!!
You should learn how to tube feed her liquid. Then maybe feed her just crumbles soaked in water.

Back
Top Bottom