Chicken having eye problems

Paolabell

Hatching
Jun 12, 2022
Hello. My girl keeps getting this eye infection that comes $ goes but now her eye looks like this. We got her recently but she has just been having this problem since we got her. All of our other girls are doing good so i dont think its something contagious. Her beak must have been cut or hurt from the farm we got her & the poor thing has just been struggling. What can i do to help her?? What antibiotics should i get & what is wrong with her? Please help!
1B5DC153-D838-4407-92AA-EF303628BD91.jpeg

Hello. My girl keeps getting this eye infection that comes $ goes but now her eye looks like this. We got her recently but she has just been having this problem since we got her. All of our other girls are doing good so i dont think its something contagious. Her beak must have been cut or hurt from the farm we got her & the poor thing has just been struggling. What can i do to help her?? What antibiotics should i get & what is wrong with her? Please help!
View attachment 3145766
Ive posted on reddit and have some antibiotics/antimicrobial options but dont know what is best. Terramycin, vetericyn, triple antibiotic ointment?? And i now believe she is having this issue due to her beak and her shoveling to eat. Food goes into her nose causing inflammation. What do i do to help her?

The eye looks like it is blind. It may have been from an infection, something that got into her eye, or corneal ulcer that got worse. It looks scarred. It is hard to know. I would clean it by flushing the eye with saline eye wash, and put a small dot of either Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin ointment In the eye 2-3 times a day. If you have antibiotic eye drops those would work as well. Chickens with broken or missing beaks may do better eating from a tall sided bowl and using crumbles or moistened chicken feed. Try some different ways and see how she does.

The eye looks like it is blind. It may have been from an infection, something that got into her eye, or corneal ulcer that got worse. It looks scarred. It is hard to know. I would clean it by flushing the eye with saline eye wash, and put a small dot of either Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin ointment In the eye 2-3 times a day. If you have antibiotic eye drops those would work as well. Chickens with broken or missing beaks may do better eating from a tall sided bowl and using crumbles or moistened chicken feed. Try some different ways and see how she does.
Thank you so so much. I have Neosporin. Do i put in inside the eye or on top over eyelid. And if she is blind in that eye will she be able to live fine?

Back
Top Bottom