Chicken having odd egg problems

CEO

Songster
Jun 14, 2021
A few weeks ago my chicken started to lay eggs with very soft shells then eventually became shell-less eggs. She started laying them in random spots in the run sometimes, but sometimes when she had an egg with a shell she layed in the nesting box. This week she randomly layed an egg like she was pooping in the yard at 4PM. She was laying normally for almost a year now. Anyone have any idea what this is and how I can solve it? Edit: I have been feeding her oyster shells too and she becomes lethargic for a while before she ”lays” the egg.

Last edited:
Some hens require more calcium than others.
Offer oyster shell in a container, inside your coop year around.
Hens will only eat what they need.
Make sure your hens also have grit to digest what food they eat adequately to obtain the full nutritional value.
You could also take this hen aside and give her some extra calcium tab pieces daily to speed the recovery of normal hard shell.
Her soft shell issue could lead to serious reproductive conditions that result in death, so I hope you can turn this around.
Good luck!

Make sure your hens also have grit to digest what food they eat adequately to obtain the full nutritional value.
You could also take this hen aside and give her some extra calcium tab pieces daily to speed the recovery of normal hard shell.
Her soft shell issue could lead to serious reproductive conditions that result in death, so I hope you can turn this around.
Good luck!
Thanks

Good luck!
By calcium tab do you mean oyster shell?

A few weeks ago my chicken started to lay eggs with very soft shells then eventually became shell-less eggs. She started laying them in random spots in the run sometimes, but sometimes when she had an egg with a shell she layed in the nesting box. This week she randomly layed an egg like she was pooping in the yard at 4PM. She was laying normally for almost a year now. Anyone have any idea what this is and how I can solve it? Edit: I have been feeding her oyster shells too and she becomes lethargic for a while before she ”lays” the egg.
Sounds like she's having some reproductive difficulties. I would try giving her 1 Caltrate with D3 once a day for 3-5 days to see if that helps.

Look her over really well for lice/mites and consider getting a fecal float to see if worms may be part of the problem.

Have you added/subtracted birds within the flock lately, any changes to housing/feed/flock dynamics? Disruptions within the flock/stress can also be a contributing factor to poor shell quality.

Back
Top Bottom