Chicken having problems with laying eggs + 10cm sac attached to vent

My friend last winter made a warm dinner mash to her Chickens and they ate it all up ...In the morning she had dead hens and others with frozen solid crops that she had to bring into her kitchen 16 dying hens to see if crops would thaw...Regular feed is all they need.
What? Frozen solid crops?
I know that last year it got so hot here that the corn in the field next to us started popping. My mule saw it and thought it was snowing so he laid down and froze to death. My dog saw it too and nearly froze before I could get the jumper cables, hook one to his nose and another to his tail and jump start him. Then I went back into the A/C to get out of the 100°+ heat. Good thing my chickens didn't see the corn popping from the heat. They'd have laid down and their crops would have froze too!
:eek::gig:lau

What? Frozen solid crops?
I know that last year it got so hot here that the corn in the field next to us started popping. My mule saw it and thought it was snowing so he laid down and froze to death. My dog saw it too and nearly froze before I could get the jumper cables, hook one to his nose and another to his tail and jump start him. Then I went back into the A/C to get out of the 100°+ heat. Good thing my chickens didn't see the corn popping from the heat. They'd have laid down and their crops would have froze too!
:eek::gig:lau
You think your cute and funnier than the average Bear..;)
Don't find you humorous at all..:(
Anyways. Yes her Chickens froze their crops almost solid...Wasn't a funny thing to share so not sure why you think it's funny? Was an experience so I shared it..

You think your cute and funnier than the average Bear..;)
Don't find you humorous at all..:(
Anyways. Yes her Chickens froze their crops almost solid...Wasn't a funny thing to share so not sure why you think it's funny? Was an experience so I shared it..
Ok, are you sure warm mash caused their crops to freeze and not because power/heat went out in coop? Maybe I read it wrong but it seemed like you said the mash caused it. I need to re-read and apologize if necessary.

Last edited:
A few weeks ago our chicken, Bob, a 9 month Orpington x, was having trouble with laying eggs. For the first little while she was only laying yolk, and a little bit of the shell (which was very soft), so we started giving her less treats and instead gave her more layers feed. She then went back to laying eggs.

But within the last week she stopped laying all together, except those small amounts of soft shells. We gave her Oyster shell grit, which I have seen her eating, and of course her normal layers feed. Then an hour ago I went outside to check up on her and the other chicken (separated from her because the other chicken has a chick), and Bob has a 15cm (ish) long, white sac that looks yolk filled attached to her vent. She still ate the small amount of seeds I gave her, and still seems to be acting normal- except a little stressed because her and the mother chicken have been separated. She still scratches around, and runs up to say hello when we approach her area. As far as I can tell her poo is normal, maybe slightly bigger than normal.

Any help would be amazing, because despite getting the chickens mainly for the eggs, they have become apart of our family.
View attachment 1607886

Update: We ended up removing it, which was really easy. Basically it was a really stretched out soft egg filled with yolk. I don't understand why she isn't producing proper eggs, because I think she is getting enough calcium. While we were out there she ate some more Oyster shell. Unless it is stress from being separated from out other chicken?

Ok, are you sure warm mash caused their crops to freeze and not because power/heat went out in coop? Maybe I read it wrong but it seemed like you said the mash caused it. I need to re-read and apologize if necessary.
Yes .. it was the warm and wet feed she thought she was helping when temps were -25C and no she doesn't run heat. She almost killed all her birds. Were Pullets I sold her too..Called me at 6:00Am in a frantic tizzy...

How worrisome ☹️ I hope someone can come up with an answer for you. I am clueless as well as still chickenless. Is this a question for a vet?

If the problem continues than it will probably have to be a problem for the vet. I did go and talk to them a little earlier, and they said what everyone else is saying, that she needs more calcium, which is what we are working on at the moment.
If she doesn't get better from the added calcium, then we will take her in so the vet can look her over in person- it may end up being something wrong with her physically in her vent area, or something else entirely.

Back
Top Bottom