Chicken having trouble breathing! ***EMERGENCY***

Quote:
If her crop is soft and mushy , sure sounds like sour crop due to canker and until the crop issue is resolved she will not be able to be hand fed if she gets real weak . That neck stretching could be an upper respiratory issue as well , not excluding the gapeworm . If she could get and I had to redo my math

9cc's applesauce
.20 cc's Sulmet =4 little drops
then try to fed about 20 peas : the frozen kind less sodium , thaw them out and warm up : if she vomits , it's sour crop , gotta wait until the applesauce does its job .
Sulmet & Duramycin should work
Isolate and don't give grit
Heating pad on low

animalscomefirst,

I just found your previous post on this same issue - it would be helpful to keep everything on one post and do an update with new symptoms, so those that read have the whole story to help you.

It sounds like this started as a crop issue, or you think it did. If you have been feeding oil and massaging since it began and the crop is not getting smaller, you're at the point of having to do crop surgery to clear it. If the crop has gone down, then it's another issue, something respiratory related. Depending on how old Hazel is, it might just be her time and her body is shutting down.
sad.png

I'm sorry you're going through this, it's frustrating not to know what is wrong so that you can try to fix it. I wish you and Hazel the best.
hugs.gif

Quote:
Ditto , I was hoping to hear more info at least an update . If the applesauce and massaging hasn't helped , it is time to see a vet . It was good news to hear that she was able
to get that food out . I wish they would come back on and let us know if they are able to give about 4-6 cc' Sulmet and Bird Sulpha 500mg . Or to find out what all antibiotics are
on hand , other wise the hens organ systems are going to start shutting down . Surgery sounds like the next step , at this point anything I say may prolong her life till a vet can see
her . Still do the applesauce if the crop is not mushy , watery and has no odor . Hopefully she will not vomit it back up . Trimethoprim/Sulfa 500 mg is what you need with the Sulmet .

Let's not rule out gapeworm , if you have some ivermectrin .05% about .20cc's or 4 small drops . Still need a good antibiotic for the infection like amoxycilian , the strongest dose you
have on hand . It is good for soft tissue infection .

I'm sorry to keep you all waiting... i started a new post because it was not impacted crop... it was a tumor. Hazel passed away yesterday morning. I was too upset to remember to tell you guys on this post. I disected her throat to see what the blockage was, it was shavings, food and pebbles. And we think it caused a infection because there was a big black lump once we took out all the food.
R.I.P. Hazel. I love you.

Quote:
Sorry to hear the bad news , there was no indication of the gapeworm and how old was Hazel , forgive my asking these questions during your loss , it may give more insight is all .
We do hate to see our Critters suffer . The symptoms just appeared suddenly with no apparent warning ? Well , I am one that believes all God's creations that have life go to heaven
but with mankind it's a choice .

Sorry about that, I didn't see your last post. So sorry about your girl. Sometimes as they get older, motility slows down to almost nothing. If you have this happen again, try the mineral oil. Or if you want to guard against it happening again, try giving small amounts of aloe juice on a regular basis. But I will warn you-give aloe juice in small amounts or its likely to get slick in your coop. Aloe is a good laxative as well as an antacid.

Back
Top Bottom