Chicken head and tail drooping

Watch the crop again tomorrow to make sure that it has emptied. You can give her some coconut oil chilled and cut into small chunks to offer to her to peck up to a tsp daily. Mareks which can affect most of your chickens, can cause problems with immunity to common diseases. It sounds like she may have a respiratory disease. Those in chickens are usually lifelong, and can affect their overall health and egg laying. If the crop feels hard or doughy, you can massage it several time sa day.

Watch the crop again tomorrow to make sure that it has emptied. You can give her some coconut oil chilled and cut into small chunks to offer to her to peck up to a tsp daily. Mareks which can affect most of your chickens, can cause problems with immunity to common diseases. It sounds like she may have a respiratory disease. Those in chickens are usually lifelong, and can affect their overall health and egg laying. If the crop feels hard or doughy, you can massage it several time sa day.
Her head and tails keeps drooping with her eyes closing over and over again. I've been keeping her awake. Is she just tired and I should let her sleep or is it dangerous to let her fall asleep right now?

I am having this same problem. I thought it was coccidiosis, and treated for that. She seemed to perk up a bit and we let her back with the flock, now she is looking the same again after a day. Weird.

Why keep her awake? She needs to sleep at night and have rest periods during the day. I would try to get her eating and drinking, check on her crop, but she might benefit from an antibiotic to treat for a respiratory disease, such as Tylosin.
She has eaten and drank. The crop seems more managable, it is more liquidity now that she drank a lot of water and ate some meshy feed. I have kept her awake because last time our chicken that died from Mericks was falling asleep. I'll leave her be in her cage and let her sleep while taking a look at her every so often. I will look into Tylosin. Is the only place I can get it at a vet or is there anywhere else? Thank you so much for the responses.

I am having this same problem. I thought it was coccidiosis, and treated for that. She seemed to perk up a bit and we let her back with the flock, now she is looking the same again after a day. Weird.
My chickens caught coccidiosis months ago and we treated it. They haven't had it since and we have checked. I would make a thread. I hope she starts feeling better.

Why keep her awake? She needs to sleep at night and have rest periods during the day. I would try to get her eating and drinking, check on her crop, but she might benefit from an antibiotic to treat for a respiratory disease, such as Tylosin.
I can't get Tylosin without going to the vet. Are there any alternatives for respiratory disease that you reccomend? Thank you.

I can't get Tylosin without going to the vet. Are there any alternatives for respiratory disease that you reccomend? Thank you.
You can get Tylosin here without a prescription:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
Dosage is 1 tsp of the powder to a gallon of water for 3-5 days.
Tylan 50 injectable can sometimes be found in some feedstores with syringes and needles, and can be given orally 0.25 ml for each pound of weight given orally 3 times a day.

walks around slowly

head and tail drooping

lethargic and drowsy

breathing problems

Gerrmocidal medicne to coat her featherless skin to shield from the sun

Her breath smells normal maybe a tiny bit sickly.

Her crop felt relativley empty. It still had some stuff in it though more than usually.

seems to have gasped for air, sneezed, crackles, wheezing and sneezing, right now the crop is doughy, she finally ate and drink a bit and looks better but in the morning when I first checked her crop it was sometimes hard, sometimes doey and sometimes puff/soft.

I have kept her awake because last time our chicken that died from Mericks was falling asleep. I'll leave her be in her cage and let her sleep while taking a look at her every so often.
If you feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs, is there any bloat or feeling of fluid?

Get some overnight poop photos when you can.

The crop not emptying, I would address that https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Do keep in mind that a lot of times crop symptoms are due to an underlying condition like reproductive disorders, infection worms or coccidiosis.

I would let her sleep a full night's sleep and not be waking her up every so often.
I'm sorry you lost the other hen, but she didn't die because she fell asleep.

Back
Top Bottom