Chicken head and tail drooping

If you feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs, is there any bloat or feeling of fluid?

Get some overnight poop photos when you can.

The crop not emptying, I would address that https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Do keep in mind that a lot of times crop symptoms are due to an underlying condition like reproductive disorders, infection worms or coccidiosis.

I would let her sleep a full night's sleep and not be waking her up every so often.
I'm sorry you lost the other hen, but she didn't die because she fell asleep.

At some point I think I did feel some bloat near the vent, she still seems to poop though but not as much. I will make sure to leave her alone tonight and stop insently checking on her since I know its bad. I will send overnight poop photos when I can.

Update:
She is eating now and pooping, although she seems reluctent to drink and does so less, she is still low energy but at this point it might be from a lag of sleep, we gave her some olive oil mixed with water since I heard from an article it could temporarly give relief to her breathing problems and help with crop issues. Her crop doesn't seem to hold food like it usually does in the sense that she is eating less and pooping so it never stays full for long, tonight she seemed to be more full of energy but still walks quite slowly, her eyes are less well droppy and tired than they were before and she seems to keep her tail up. Her poop seems to be less green and more solid but because of her seemgingly less consumtion of fluids it is harder, like I said before though she still drinks it. She has not layed an egg and she usually does which got me worried she could be eggbound but she still poops and hasn't lost strength when it comes to standing, she also can get pretty mean with her wings if you handle her in a way she doesn't like, I am worried about what a previous poster here said about merricks but I am not losing hope, there is a good chance the reason why she became this way was due to it being to cold outside, hopefully the lack of eggs could be do to the fact that I am pretty sure the girl is a little older.

UPDATE: She seems a little less lethargic today than yesterday (although not by a lot) Here are pictures of her poop and the egg she laid. The egg looks quite bad. There is also a strange chunk I found in her cage and I'm not sure what it is or how it got there.

Attachments

• chicken_poop_and_eggs_1.jpg
    chicken_poop_and_eggs_1.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 7
  • chicken_poop_and_eggs_2.jpg
    chicken_poop_and_eggs_2.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 8
  • chicken_poop_and_eggs_3.jpg
    chicken_poop_and_eggs_3.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 7
  • chicken_poop_and_eggs_4.jpg
    chicken_poop_and_eggs_4.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 7
UPDATE: She seems a little less lethargic today than yesterday (although not by a lot) Here are pictures of her poop and the egg she laid. The egg looks quite bad. There is also a strange chunk I found in her cage and I'm not sure what it is or how it got there.

Attachments

• chicken_poop_and_eggs_5.jpg
    chicken_poop_and_eggs_5.jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 6
  • chicken_poop_and_eggs_6.jpg
    chicken_poop_and_eggs_6.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 6
  • chicken_poop_and_eggs_7.jpg
    chicken_poop_and_eggs_7.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 5
The strange chunk is the last picture

Attachments

• chicken_poop_and_eggs_8.jpg
    chicken_poop_and_eggs_8.jpg
    415 KB · Views: 6
  • chicken_poop_and_eggs_9.jpg
    chicken_poop_and_eggs_9.jpg
    540 KB · Views: 6
  • strange_chunk.jpg
    strange_chunk.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 6
Her vent seems to have been a little more palputated than usual, of course she could have pooped later but I am still worrried, she is still pooping and did pass that soft egg reguardless, she is still resting at the moment. I think she has gotten a lot of time to rest but seems more active during night, is it possible her sleep schedule has been thrown off and should I give her a lamp next time she seems less well tired for some light, I allowed a little sunlight to get into her little enclosure but I covered it back up again since she seemed a little tired and content to rest.

Can you cut the egg open?

What do you feed including treats?
Does she have grit available?

Where are you located in the world?
I would get some Calcium into her, you can find Caltrate or Generic Calcium Carbonate at stores like WalMart or CVS. Give 1 tablet daily.
Hard to tell if that's a lash egg (Salpingitis) or just a bunch of membranes wrapped together. Either way, hard to expel and the Calcium can help with contractions.

If she were mine, I would also start her on an antibiotic like Amoxicillin. With the blood and the shape of the "egg", I would worry about infection. Antibiotics may help if this is not too advanced, but reproductive disorders eventually take their tole on hens. If you are in the US, you can order it online. Dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 10-14 days. https://fishmoxfishflex.com/collections/amoxicillin-fish-antibiotics

Keep her drinking and if her crop is not emptying, then address that too.

Can you cut the egg open?

What do you feed including treats?
Does she have grit available?

Where are you located in the world?
I would get some Calcium into her, you can find Caltrate or Generic Calcium Carbonate at stores like WalMart or CVS. Give 1 tablet daily.
Hard to tell if that's a lash egg (Salpingitis) or just a bunch of membranes wrapped together. Either way, hard to expel and the Calcium can help with contractions.

If she were mine, I would also start her on an antibiotic like Amoxicillin. With the blood and the shape of the "egg", I would worry about infection. Antibiotics may help if this is not too advanced, but reproductive disorders eventually take their tole on hens. If you are in the US, you can order it online. Dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 10-14 days. https://fishmoxfishflex.com/collections/amoxicillin-fish-antibiotics

Keep her drinking and if her crop is not emptying, then address that too.

I will try to get Amoxicillin though and the calcium supplement, I feed her already a high calcium layer feed, I also fed her some water with natural apple cider vinegar, although not recently, should I give her some greens like spinach and natural apple cider vinegar again? I still don't know if she is drinking enough is there any way to encourage her to drink more that doesn't involve forcing it down her throat with a syringe like medicine? I also gave her a small light since I thought she might need it, she still just nets in the little place I have for her since not much to do but she doesn't seem as tired now.

Here is the egg cut open as well.

Attachments

• badegg.jpg
    badegg.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 7
  • badegg2.jpg
    badegg2.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 8
  • badegg3.jpg
    badegg3.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 7
  • badegg4.jpg
    badegg4.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 7
  • badegg5.jpg
    badegg5.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 7
You can get Aqua Mox amoxicillin online and possibly from a feed store. Dosage is 125-250 mg twice a day given orally for 10 days. That looks like a lash egg, typical of salpingitis, inflammation of the oviduct. Chicken layer feed is best for her, ACV won’t do anything for reproductive disorders. A human calcium tablet can help if laying unusual eggs or egg binding. Here is where to find amoxicillin (Aqua Mox:)
https://www.chewy.com/midland-vet-s...MIw4eb3tee9gIVovzjBx2aswgVEAQYAyABEgLEfPD_BwE

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom