Chicken Help please! Swollen, yellow head & closing eyes

Jul 27, 2018
Hi, I recently moved and have had my parents tending to our chickens. This morning I visited and was checking on the chickens with the plan of treating them for mites. We have had a lot of visiting parrots and doves to the yard lately and doing some veggie gardening on the weekend found some to be crawling out of the soil up my hands. (I sprayed the bare veggie patch and their coop with coopex powder 2 days ago)

Today, I instantly noticed that of the chickens (Wyandotte) did not look good at all. She has a swollen head, it has mostly gone a yellow colour and her eyes are little slits. She is having a lot of difficulty seeing and is walking into things. I flushed out her eyes and have been researching online to see what it might be but can’t be sure. She also may have some diarrhoea but still trying to determine if it is her. She doesn’t seem to have lost weight but could be a little warm. she seems to be behaving normally but none of the 4 chickens are laying at the moment. They have been going through a molt.

Photos attached
Ignore the white powder on her faces. That was m

Attachments

• 541EDC2D-B96C-4E66-AEDB-CF9FBAF4331C.jpeg
    541EDC2D-B96C-4E66-AEDB-CF9FBAF4331C.jpeg
    575.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 1B6782BC-8F69-4E02-BDC2-AC275864364A.jpeg
    1B6782BC-8F69-4E02-BDC2-AC275864364A.jpeg
    628.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 414806B2-7993-42F3-BC61-4A87B525CBC7.jpeg
    414806B2-7993-42F3-BC61-4A87B525CBC7.jpeg
    447.1 KB · Views: 9
  • D545FF9D-4645-4461-A516-F2DD083F5DE1.jpeg
    D545FF9D-4645-4461-A516-F2DD083F5DE1.jpeg
    629.7 KB · Views: 9
It looks like she has a bad case of dry fowl pox. Where are you located? Are you having mosquitoes out right now? They spread fowl, pox, a virus, that lasts about 3 weeks. She will need help getting enough water and food. i would feed her and water her at least 3 times a day. Chicken feed mixed with a lot of water, bits of scrambled egg, canned cat food antuna are good things to tempt her. Water is most important. Since she has scabs around her eyes, apply a dab of Terramycin eye ointment. If you cannot get that at a feed store by asking the clerk, use plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment (a new tube.) Wet fowl pox is where there are yellow lesions inside the beak and throat. Look inside her beak for those and let us know. Do not distrub scabs, since they are contagious and it spreads the virus. Here is some reading:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

It looks like she has a bad case of dry fowl pox. Where are you located? Are you having mosquitoes out right now? They spread fowl, pox, a virus, that lasts about 3 weeks. She will need help getting enough water and food. i would feed her and water her at least 3 times a day. Chicken feed mixed with a lot of water, bits of scrambled egg, canned cat food antuna are good things to tempt her. Water is most important. Since she has scabs around her eyes, apply a dab of Terramycin eye ointment. If you cannot get that at a feed store by asking the clerk, use plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment (a new tube.) Wet fowl pox is where there are yellow lesions inside the beak and throat. Look inside her beak for those and let us know. Do not distrub scabs, since they are contagious and it spreads the virus. Here is some reading:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/
Thanks so much for the advice. I thought this may be the case. I am located just outside Sydney, Australia. We have had a lot of rain these past few weeks and there are certainly a lot of mosquitos around so this would make sense. It can’t be passed to humans can it. I have her isolated from the others and ensuring she is fed and watered. Will head to the feed store to check out the options.
Thanks again. Hate to see them suffer.

No, it cannot spread to people. Let us know how she gets along. There is a vaccine available for chickens that have not been affected.

I didn’t think it was. I might have to look into the vaccination since I have 4 others. They aren’t showing signs but might just be a matter of time.
Thanks again. Will keep you posted

Back
Top Bottom