Chicken Help

connorman

Hatching
Oct 24, 2023
Hi,

First time poster here. This chicken hatched April 25th and it is one of about 10 chickens I received. Not sure why, but it's comb has not gotten any bigger. It was smaller than all the others but has caught up and is now about the same size as the others but not laying and the comb is not getting any bigger. She seems otherwise healthy. Moves around and eats normal. Any ideas? Maybe some sort of mix breed?
1000015738.jpg

She's beautiful! Assuming she's a Plymouth Rock? As for the comb, she's still growing so it most likely will become more pronounced in a month or two.

She's of laying age, and as long as you don't see any other symptoms of anything, depending on breed, some just take longer. Since you have others that are laying, I presume she should be too soon. She may have been a runt since you said she was smaller than the rest so her internal organs are getting caught up too with her body size. We give oyster shells in a separate dish, so you could try that. They eat it if they need it, and usually don't if they don't. It's not going to speed her up or anything but might help if she's got eggs on the way.

Oh, and welcome to BYC by the way! :frow

I would not get too concerned if she is not laying now, but I would check her for any lice or mites under her belly and vent. Also look at her droppings, and if any look unusual, post a picture. Hopefully, though, she will start getting a red comb and begin laying. Is she eating well?

I would not get too concerned if she is not laying now, but I would check her for any lice or mites under her belly and vent. Also look at her droppings, and if any look unusual, post a picture. Hopefully, though, she will start getting a red comb and begin laying. Is she eating well?
Yes, eating and drinking well. Thank you for the reply!

She's beautiful! Assuming she's a Plymouth Rock? As for the comb, she's still growing so it most likely will become more pronounced in a month or two.

She's of laying age, and as long as you don't see any other symptoms of anything, depending on breed, some just take longer. Since you have others that are laying, I presume she should be too soon. She may have been a runt since you said she was smaller than the rest so her internal organs are getting caught up too with her body size. We give oyster shells in a separate dish, so you could try that. They eat it if they need it, and usually don't if they don't. It's not going to speed her up or anything but might help if she's got eggs on the way.

Oh, and welcome to BYC by the way! :frow
Thank you!

You're good this is normal. I have 4 pullets of laying age. 2 of them are laying, 1 of them got a redder comb and started squatting and should start soon. The last one, zero comb (genetics prob) no squatting, and its vent is as tight as ever. She jus maturing slower than the others, normal!

Back
Top Bottom