Chicken (hen) Behaviors

Ok, so I have a self-assured Rhode Island Red, and a younger but larger Easter Egger with a Rooster like comb. All seven of my girls are in a 20 X 10 run plus the coop. I have had to keep them in there most of the day up to 2 pm until 4:30 when I call them back due to losing two girls two weeks ago to a predator, most likely a hawk. Anyway, the RIR and EE got into a 'cock fight'. the food I give them in the evening at recall is a large portion of whatever: watermelon rinds, pasta, veggies, chicken carcasses, oatmeal....whatever. So why would they fight each other like this? and I have yet to find out who is eating an egg. the egg has a weak shell. And I also supplement with crickets and or meal worms. So I am stumped. (they are on layer pellets and I throw in black sunflower seeds and birdseed in the am)

Can you post some pictures of your set up and birds? How old are they?

Sometimes if an egg has a weak shell, it breaks, and then they eat it.

Adding clutter to your run is a good idea.

Those are just some general ideas - a little more information will help.

My hens (7total) range in age from 8 months for the rose comb and floppy comb, Australorpe and Bar Rock are 3 yrs, RIR are 2 yrs, and the Easter egger is 1.6 yrs. I clean the poop out every morning (of course I took the pictures before cleaning...) and any remains of the evening treats from the run. 3 waters, two feeders, and three perches which they use. The 4X4X8 are to keep rain water from sitting on the overlarge tarp I got. Not fancy, I know.... I still do not know the breed of hen in the photo with the watermelon rinds. Seller said she was copper marans.
attachment1 (25).jpeg
IMG_20220807_133734680_MP.jpg
IMG_20220807_135210711_MP.jpg
attachment1 (24).jpeg

Setup looks nice and roomy but could probably stand some "clutter" to break up sightlines and allow a subordinate hen to exhibit good chicken manners by getting out of sight from a dominant one. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Which two are the culprits in the fight?
Easter egger and the RIR with an erect comb which she is the 3 to the last on the pecking order, older then the two 8 month olds. I'm guessing the incident was due to them not being out like they are used to all day, and Reba trying to assert herself . The Easter egger is larger but younger, go figure....

Back
Top Bottom