Chicken honking when breathing! Help!

laws24

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
I have been home all day letting my chickens freerange as I normally do when I'm home but as I was outside I noticed my 9 month old Hen honking when breathing. As far as I have seen nothing strange was ingested. What is this! she seems fine otherwise. It's not today but not the hotest that it has been. I'm so worried! Does anyone know!
hu.gif

I have had this happen a couple of times off and on the last two years with one of my girls. It always seemed to be during hot, humid weather. I always kept a sharp eye on her listening for any rasping that might indicate a respitory infection developing. It never did. It always passed. The longest it took was about a week.

I have a brahma that does this now that its really hot. I tried worming her incase it was gape worm....nothing....So someone suggested it might be respitory, so I kept her seperated (I seperated her as soon as I noticed the symptoms - wondering what it was) - and treated her with antibiotics to see if it was respitory....(poor hen - experimental test dummy
hide.gif
) and nadda. then talking to more people they said the same - its heat. Some just do it when its hot... My pullet she doesn't have a runny nose, rattly breathing, or sneezes...so I let her back in with the rest of the flock and shes still the only one who does it. Still alot of mine fuss more when its hot - and I notice alot alot alot of heavy panting - and the more the others pant the more often "Honker" gets going
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom