Chicken honking when breathing! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by laws24, Jul 6, 2011.

1. laws24

laws24 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    I have been home all day letting my chickens freerange as I normally do when I'm home but as I was outside I noticed my 9 month old Hen honking when breathing. As far as I have seen nothing strange was ingested. What is this! she seems fine otherwise. It's not today but not the hotest that it has been. I'm so worried! Does anyone know![​IMG]

2. 8hipchicks

8hipchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2009
    I have had this happen a couple of times off and on the last two years with one of my girls. It always seemed to be during hot, humid weather. I always kept a sharp eye on her listening for any rasping that might indicate a respitory infection developing. It never did. It always passed. The longest it took was about a week.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    My EE honks when it's real hot.

4. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a brahma that does this now that its really hot. I tried worming her incase it was gape worm....nothing....So someone suggested it might be respitory, so I kept her seperated (I seperated her as soon as I noticed the symptoms - wondering what it was) - and treated her with antibiotics to see if it was respitory....(poor hen - experimental test dummy [​IMG] ) and nadda. then talking to more people they said the same - its heat. Some just do it when its hot... My pullet she doesn't have a runny nose, rattly breathing, or sneezes...so I let her back in with the rest of the flock and shes still the only one who does it. Still alot of mine fuss more when its hot - and I notice alot alot alot of heavy panting - and the more the others pant the more often "Honker" gets going [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by